Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Unlike Phil, I completely diss O'Brien's barbeque (ick), except for when a specific and favorite folk player is "in concert" there. Not having the donut shop on Gude Drive any more can be a blessing or negative depending on whether you like the smell of donuts luring you constantly throughout the day. Watch out for the red light camera on Gude Drive. Crabbs Branch Way seems to be extremely dangerous for pedestrians, but if you have safe walking habits, maybe not so dangerous for you.

The location of Gude and Frederick Road (355) is nice. You can take major roads or back roads most places through the area.

A Montgomery Village rental (room to share) might be nice. Plenty of townhouses there to share. King Farm (across 355) is a bit expensive, but you might find a share advertised in a condo. There are apartments just up Crabbs Branch that when I looked 10 or so years ago were around $1,000 / mo for two master suites (very nice ones), but also some townhouses back in there. A share might be available. Going a little farther northwest is Germantown with tons of townhouses that may advertise a share. If you go northwest of Gude/355, definitely seek out back roads as 270 to DC is the major commute direction.

For three years, I rented a basement apartment in a single-family house in Aspen Hill. I found that place after I had lived in a townhouse (room to rent arrangement) for a year, which I found after spending 12 hours driving from Tacoma Park to Germantown "interviewing" some 10 or so places to rent. Group homes were the pits, but houses with a homeowner renting to 2 or 3 professionals were nice.

By the way, your work location is near the Shady Grove Metro Station, which makes the immediate area a tad bit more expensive to live. But also makes it nice because you never know when you might want to take the subway to a new job or just to visit the sights in DC.

Just up 355 is Shady Grove Road, Home Depot and then the hospital to the left and the late open post office to the right (just past the transfer/recycle/dump station). Just down 355 is Montgomery College and then Rockville Square, which has Regal stadium seating theatre and great restaurants; I wish this redeveloped area was bigger.

Going back to King Farm, there are a ton of restaurants there. Check out that French one (I think it is this one: L Oustalet Inc?.). For better barbecue, visit Rocklands at Wintergreen Plaza just up 355.

Keywords to look for in ad searching:
- Derwood
- Montgomery Village
- Aspen Hill
- Needwood
- Olney
- Norbeck Road, Midcounty Highway, Muncaster Road, Veirs Mill Road, Georgia Avenue

Maybe avoid:
- Washington Grove (I consider this one more miss than hit)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.