Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My (former) employer owes me somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000. I probably won't see the check until sometime in January, at the earliest.
They were supposed to send me a check in October, but it never arrived and I keep getting stories about where the check is. I suspect they aren't looking into it and won't until January (they're Quota-driven, and this is make-or-break time for sales).

If I don't receive the check until, say, February, but they include it in my W2 (which I receive in January and want to file ASAP), can I somehow remove the earnings from my 2001 statement and defer it until 2002 tax time? 2002 tax will be much more favorable for me than 2001.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.