Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Long story short, I received a gift bag with a bunch of ridiculously-overpriced things in it that I now owe taxes on. One of the items was a non-transferable $100 gift certificate to a website that has absolutely nothing I or anyone I know wants, even for "free." If I refuse to redeem this gift certificate, do I still owe taxes on it?
Print the post Back To Top
Long story short, I received a gift bag with a bunch of ridiculously-overpriced things in it that I now owe taxes on. One of the items was a non-transferable $100 gift certificate to a website that has absolutely nothing I or anyone I know wants, even for "free." If I refuse to redeem this gift certificate, do I still owe taxes on it?

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect the answer is yes, you owe taxes on it.

Just because you don't want to use it, doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Here's an idea- why not redeem the gift certificate and donate the items with all the other items you don't want?

Hohum

Yes, and what others could learn from this is just because you "win" something you don't have to accept it.

Would a charity have any use of the card? Any of the items on the website useful as Christmas or birthday gifts?

Debra
No. of Recommendations: 1
(LudditeAndroid:) Long story short, I received a gift bag with a bunch of ridiculously-overpriced things in it that I now owe taxes on.

So, was this at the Oscars or Tonys?
Your public demands to know!