No. of Recommendations: 6
Hello all,

It's been a while since my last update. For all my intentions to post regular updates, I just can't get around to doing it. So this is one in a series of infrequent, irregular updates.

I joined TMF in Aug 2007 with a lot of debt. I hoped to be debt free in 2 years. Someone else estimated it would be approx 4 years. I think he/she had the right of it, especially since I had a major backsliding to overcome a year later with legal bills and family stuff.

Here's our current debt, rounded up:

CC - 11,500
Car - 3,200
Student loan - 14,900.

This is all debt I had from the beginning except the car loan which I reluctantly took out when my old car expired. I am working on the car debt at the moment. Or I was. My debt repayment is going to go on hold again for a few months but not because of legal bills this time but medical ones (again).

$550 - ambulance
$850 - hospital
$280 - doctor
$110 - labs
And to forestall the question, yes we have health insurance. Most of the bills were covered and what's above is what we were left with. Still, it is nearly $2K of new debt. I have set up payment plans for the ambulance, hospital and doctor, and aim to pay the lab off this month.

Question, now. I have a chunk of cash coming my way, from an inheritance. I won't have it for a couple of months yet. But, I could payoff either the student loan or the CC in full. Which one would be best? I was thinking student loan, because as I pay the CCs I become ever more determined with each CC I pay to never run them up again - it's painful to pay them down. But student loans are better debt than CCs, correct? I have closed all but 3 CCs at this point, too, to ensure I don't run them up again. I'm keeping 3 open for the credit history (one still has a balance). 7 cards have been closed now though, as I paid each one off.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.