No. of Recommendations: 1
For those following and not following my saga... I came to the board with >70k in debt and am knee deep in pay down mode. My strategy is obviously reduce expenses, increase income, and reduce interest rates.

Shortly after my last post, Bank of America sent me a BT offer- 0% until July 2015. 4% transfer rate. I have two Bank of America cc. One with zero balance with a limit of 7200. And one with 3700 and a limit of 9300. I took the offer on the zero balance card. I took 6800 and now have a balance of 7072. I used that money to pay Amex. Along with an additional 3k that I threw at the card, my Amex now stands at roughly 3500. I should be able to pay that off next month. So that is the update. Amex at 15.24 is my highest interest rate card.
In January my balance was as high as 35k and at its highest 45k!
I can't believe it will finally be zero. I realize that not all the debt is gone, simply transferred but still feels good anyway.

The question, I am wondering if I should take the second balance transfer offer. I would take the roughly 5k available to me and pay off chase my next highest at 14+%. I owe 8k. By end of September, early October it would be paid off versus nov/dec.

My concerns are that in my debt payoff quest I have utilized a number of BT offers: citi, chase slate, and chase freedom for a total of almost 15k. Citi comes due first on April of 2015, with an interest rate rise of 22%! The balance is <3k so I could divert payments to clear that prior to the interest rate change. To save 6-8 weeks of higher interest, I will have five out of seven cards at >90% utilization. Also I don't have it clear in my head that I will be able to pay those amts off prior to their expirations. With th exception of citi, they will revert to their normal interest rates of 9.9 to 15%. I still have tons of debt at 10% to pay off, so the 0% would not be getting my attention for some time. My snowball calculator from April predicted 22 months of debt paydown. I would have to run numbers again given the new interest rates. Even if numbers are do-able, knowing that my eagerness to take these 0% offers landed me in part in this mess I am now in, makes me pause. Lastly because i know someone will ask, I have no plans to take on additional credit. My homeowner and car insurance premiums came due June and I am billed annually so don't anticipate another credit scan until prob may of next year. Obviously no new house/cars etc anticipated. Oldest car is from 2010 with maybe 36k miles.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.