Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
A quick up date from here. As I suspected there was more to the story than my Dad was admitting. Essentially my Dad's regular doctors (ENT and Pulmonologist) recommended that he enter hospice care a month ago. He then talked to the oncologist who agreed to try some very aggressive chemotherapy - this chemo - if it works and he can tolerate it - will give him anywhere from 6 months(same as hospice) to a year (an extra six months. So starting Monday he will be taking Fluorouracil and Cisplatin through a Picc line with a pump over 4 days. Also on Monday, the same day as he starts he goes for his first Radiation.

This past week he had a G-tube installed anticipating that his throat/esophogus will close so much that he will not be able to take anything by mouth. (I wonder if he realizes that if it does, his greatest pleasure in life - Vodka - will not be possible - if he has thought about it (and he is a very intelligent man) I'll betcha anything that that is when he will stop the treatment).

His wife is not so sure this decision is a good thing (and neither am I) but we both agree that its his decision. He's beaten so many that I think he can't bear to not try. I just hope it works out and that he's not too sick. They have gotten agreement from the Dr that he can stop at any time.

On the bright side I have had long talks with Dutchie and we have resolved past misunderstandings - she has promised to let me know what is going on and I do trust her to do that.

Well, I gotta get off before they awake to atart the day.

I'll be back on line Monday sometime.

Augie

P.S. Would someone please cross post this to the BBB? Thanks!

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.