Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
A quick up date from here. As I suspected there was more to the story than my Dad was admitting. Essentially my Dad's regular doctors (ENT and Pulmonologist) recommended that he enter hospice care a month ago. He then talked to the oncologist who agreed to try some very aggressive chemotherapy - this chemo - if it works and he can tolerate it - will give him anywhere from 6 months(same as hospice) to a year (an extra six months. So starting Monday he will be taking Fluorouracil and Cisplatin through a Picc line with a pump over 4 days. Also on Monday, the same day as he starts he goes for his first Radiation.

This past week he had a G-tube installed anticipating that his throat/esophogus will close so much that he will not be able to take anything by mouth. (I wonder if he realizes that if it does, his greatest pleasure in life - Vodka - will not be possible - if he has thought about it (and he is a very intelligent man) I'll betcha anything that that is when he will stop the treatment).

His wife is not so sure this decision is a good thing (and neither am I) but we both agree that its his decision. He's beaten so many that I think he can't bear to not try. I just hope it works out and that he's not too sick. They have gotten agreement from the Dr that he can stop at any time.

On the bright side I have had long talks with Dutchie and we have resolved past misunderstandings - she has promised to let me know what is going on and I do trust her to do that.

Well, I gotta get off before they awake to atart the day.

I'll be back on line Monday sometime.

Augie

P.S. Would someone please cross post this to the BBB? Thanks!

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<<<<<<<oldaugie, dad & Dutchie>>>>>>>>>>

I'm glad that you went and glad that you and your dad's wife were able to patch things up. It ought to make things easier to deal with as your dad goes through his treatment.

Prayers and good vibes for your family.
Thanks for remembering us, Carolyn.

Good thoughts, vibes and prayers on the way for all concerned.

Prof
*BBB alumni*
His wife is not so sure this decision is a good thing (and neither am I) but we both agree that its his decision. He's beaten so many that I think he can't bear to not try

Hey Aug,

Big stuff going on for you these days. Sending positive thoughts your way.

The quotation above is crucial, as you well know. The odds being what they are it does seem to us like too much of a physical effort to bother with the treatments.

But at the same time, I'll never forget our mother telling me she had decided she didn't want to do chemo anymore. In a way, I think that's harder than garnering the energy to fight no matter how bad the prognosis is. She was ready to face what nobody really wants to face, and she knew how hard it would be for us to hear.

Keep us posted.

pho
Augie -

I don't have a lot of words to give you. Just the assurance of my sympathy, my thoughts and prayers for you and your family (and especially your Dad).

Please keep us posted.

Beej
{{{{{{{augie}}}}}}}

Tough stuff, but I agree with you and you dad's wife - ultimately it is his decision. I hope it works well for him and will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

I am also very glad you got down there, had long talks with your father and resolved old differences and misunderstandings. Whatever the outcome, I think that was the best gift that each of you could have given the other.

God Bless

Judy
His wife is not so sure this decision is a good thing (and neither am I) but we both agree that its his decision. He's beaten so many that I think he can't bear to not try. I just hope it works out and that he's not too sick. They have gotten agreement from the Dr that he can stop at any time.

On the bright side I have had long talks with Dutchie and we have resolved past misunderstandings - she has promised to let me know what is going on and I do trust her to do that.

Augie - Sorry to be so late catching up. There was this nor'easter. . .

Clearly your father is still enjoying life to the point where he feels his life is worth fighting for. That, obviously, is part of what he is. He refuses to go gently, but is raging against the light. I hope all goes well. He has the good wishes of the board in his fight.

I'm glad you were able to resolve some issues with your stepmother. Family peace will help your father, and will allow you both to support each other during the times to come.

{{{{{Augie & Family}}}}}

Nancy
Dear Augie:

I am thinking of you and your family during this time. I am glad that you are together... I believe that there is strength in numbers. I am sure that you are such a comfort to your Dad and his wife.

Wishing you all the best,

Linda
*hugs* to Augie and family. I'm glad you made it out to be with him.

Rebecca