Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The bad news is his neuropathy is no better (yet). But other news is good! On a low-carb diet, he has more energy, he's losing weight, and his blood sugar is way down. ~100 most mornings, ~110 before most meals, ~125 an hour after most meals. He only needs insulin when he over-indulges in a carby meal/snack. So most days, metformin is all.

Now that he's experienced these results, he's pretty psyched. He no longer asks for fried chicken or graham crackers. I do buy him one or 2 subs/week (on whole wheat roll--and one sandwich suffices for 2 lunches).

His breakfasts are usually 2 eggs & 2 bacon or 2 eggs, a litle ham & cheese; lunches are salad or 1/2 sub + small salad; dinner is cooked meat/chicken/shrimp and 1-2 cups cooked vegetable(s). 2-3 snacks/day consisting of 5 strawberries or equivalent amount of other fruit, or 1/2 cup cashews or pistachios (the only nuts he likes). I only bring over 1/2 cup nuts/day, so no opportunity to pig out.

I have him seeing his doctor more frequently (who seems to approve of wha I'm doing) and on a regular schedule with a podiatrist. I asked for a neurology consult, but it isn't scheduled yet.

I have him taking the following supplements (comments welcome on this and anything)--he's 65:

fish oil
multivite/mineral alternating days with methylated B-complex
vitamin D3
vitamin C w/bioflavonoids
magnesium glycinate
CoQ10
alpha lipoic acid (supposedly good for neuropathy)
curcumin (good for circulation--a natural blood thinner)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.