Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The bad news is his neuropathy is no better (yet). But other news is good! On a low-carb diet, he has more energy, he's losing weight, and his blood sugar is way down. ~100 most mornings, ~110 before most meals, ~125 an hour after most meals. He only needs insulin when he over-indulges in a carby meal/snack. So most days, metformin is all.

Now that he's experienced these results, he's pretty psyched. He no longer asks for fried chicken or graham crackers. I do buy him one or 2 subs/week (on whole wheat roll--and one sandwich suffices for 2 lunches).

His breakfasts are usually 2 eggs & 2 bacon or 2 eggs, a litle ham & cheese; lunches are salad or 1/2 sub + small salad; dinner is cooked meat/chicken/shrimp and 1-2 cups cooked vegetable(s). 2-3 snacks/day consisting of 5 strawberries or equivalent amount of other fruit, or 1/2 cup cashews or pistachios (the only nuts he likes). I only bring over 1/2 cup nuts/day, so no opportunity to pig out.

I have him seeing his doctor more frequently (who seems to approve of wha I'm doing) and on a regular schedule with a podiatrist. I asked for a neurology consult, but it isn't scheduled yet.

I have him taking the following supplements (comments welcome on this and anything)--he's 65:

fish oil
multivite/mineral alternating days with methylated B-complex
vitamin D3
vitamin C w/bioflavonoids
magnesium glycinate
CoQ10
alpha lipoic acid (supposedly good for neuropathy)
curcumin (good for circulation--a natural blood thinner)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Fantastic news! I'm not a big fan of supplements and my doctor is pretty agnostic, though he did put me on a B12 supplement to see if it makes any difference in my skin, which feels numb sometimes. I haven't thought about it but I do feel better. My beef with supplements is that the industry is unregulated and there are no standards or verification measures to ensure that they do what they say they'll do or even have in them what they claim is in them.

Fuskie
Who would stick with the larger commercial manufacturers for the best chance at reliability...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Titan International (TWI), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: http://tinyurl.com/FoolCode
No. of Recommendations: 1
further update on bro--

I took him for labs this week, and his A1c was 5.8! He's never been anywhere near this good before, and I know he's been over 11 before.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
You will be able to recommend 4 more posts today. (explain this)
- TMFRec.Counter = 26

Date: 24 juillet 2017
Temps: 15:38 HST