Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 13
1) CrossFit Regionals was the single best athletic event I've ever attended, hands down. If they keep having it somewhere convenient, I could see going ever year.

deux) I have figured out that at least for now, I am basically unemployable. I am just utterly uninterested in the standard corporate wonk routine. I have had a couple of good job opportunities come up and I couldn't even bring myself to submit my resume because UGH, THE MAN.

6+5-8) Since I'm unemployable (at least where working for The Man is concerned), I'm extremely fortunate to have found a totally non-standard opportunity, at least for the time being. My friends (married couple) have started a small IT consulting firm. They have more opportunities popping up suddenly than they know what to do with. I am working for them at what we consider a low, low intro hourly rate, capped at 20 hrs per week, for the next 30-60 days. At that point we will evaluate how the work is going and renegotiate rate and workload. I trust these people implicitly - one of them is my business partner in another venture - and they know that right now my priority is to be productive but work less. This is straight hourly, work when I want, a lot of it at home, and get my crap done. Oh, and when I want to be off, I get to be off (within reason). It's a cool opportunity because I can do some consulting AND I also get to work on business operations for this business.

2^2) I also have a very strong lead on a small business that is interested in hiring me for some basic social media consulting. The guy is an insurance agent, just getting started (less than 6 months at it). Could just be building a social media plan and doing training, could be an ongoing maintenance gig. We shall see!

So, as you can see, I'm doing a terrible job at taking much of a break from working....but I am a million times happier right now and I think I'm in a position where I can have more flexibility, which is mostly what I want right now.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.