Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
A few threads back, we talked about which luxury brand car to get. The guy from North Scottsdale BMW called me this morning - I went over - they didn't have a M Coupe to drive, though they did have one I could sit in. I test drove the M Roadster, put the top down, kind of neat, I guess - today was a perfect day for it. Considered, briefly, the M Roadster, but the better look of the Coupe, IMHO, the stiffer chassis, and the couple thousand dollars lower price convinced me to go with my original preference. Got, as planned, black on black with the premium package, www.bmwusa.com/byo/byohome.htm?Acode=XAB60BMC132A0 . You have to click the black yourself, if you're interested.

At any rate, I appreciate the input from the automotive Fools - I think we're going to be pretty happy with this one. I've got it set up for delivery for 12-23, pick it up and drive it a little, make sure there aren't any problems, park it in my Dad's garage for a couple nights, then get up early Christmas morning, and park it in front of the house.

martybl
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Awwww, an X-Mas present - now that is very sweet.
No. of Recommendations: 1
At any rate, I appreciate the input from the automotive Fools - I think we're going to be pretty happy with this one. I've got it set up for delivery for 12-23, pick it up and drive it a little, make sure there aren't any problems, park it in my Dad's garage for a couple nights, then get up early Christmas morning, and park it in front of the house.

martybl

I wish I could be a fly on the wall - or mebbe a squirrel in a tree - when the DH sees it.

Charles

OOOPs I meant DW.
That car is HOTTTTT! Congrats on your decision!

PAK
an X-Mas present - now that is very sweet.

I'm not sure how much I'll fool her. I spent about ninety minutes at the BMW dealer, then three hours dictating. When I got home she asked where ELSE I'd gone, with the tone normally reserved for strip club excursions. I'll have to get lucky for her not to see the $2000 initial payment that I put on the credit card - I pick up the mail, and I'll pay BofA/MBNA, but she looks at the statements online. I suppose I could have used a check, but that'd be capable of being traced. Thinking back, I think that the least likely method to tip her off would have been to withdraw 20 $100 bills, but I didn't think that far ahead. I really don't have much ability to truly keep secrets from her - she always suspects when I'm doing things and not telling her.

Also wanted to add that shopping at BMW North Scottsdale was a pretty impressive experience, www.bmwnorthscottsdale.com . Parenthetically, despite the name, it's really on the Phoenix side of Scottsdale road, so that all the sales tax goes to Phoenix, not Scottsdale. If you click on the link, you'll see that it's a huge operation. 244 new BMW's, another 50 certified used ones, plus the Mini's, plus the other used cars.

It seemed like I was surrounded by acres of $40 - 90K cars. For those that were so worried about whether I could afford it, I can't imagine that all the purchasers of these things are in better financial shape than I am. To get to the Z4s we had to take an elevator to a huge rooftop parking area.

I was a little surprised, looking around, the degree to which the Z4 3.0's outnumbered the Ms. They even had a fair number of the base, 215hp models with the auto (oh, pardon me, StepTronic) transmission. Going back to the thread on ordering the top model, why??? If you're going to commit yourself to a little, low to the road car, why wouldn't you order it with the performance goodies?

Salesman said that for some folks the 3.0 vs. M distinction is just, believe it or not, that they don't care about performance, that they just want the cute little car and don't care how fast it goes. For others it's money, though it's only a 20% or so difference in the price of the car.

In terms of the auto/manual debate, he tells me that there is a whole generation in which a lot of folks have never become comfortable with a manual, and a lot of couples where the wife REFUSES to have a manual. One more reason to keep my present wife.

On Sunday, I was filling my RSX, and there just happened to be a silver M Coupe on the other side of the pump. Was chatting with its owner, and he was VERY satisfied with the performance - told me he'd smoked a Cayman the other night - probably take that with a grain of salt. He'd ordered his exactly the way I'd ordered mine - premium package (cruise, power seats, Bluetooth, upgraded stereo) but NOT the nav system. I thought that the silver looked sharp, but I think that black takes a higher gloss - if you're going to have a car detailed regularly - black rewards your efforts more. Also, the "M" badge stands out more against the black.

martybl
Got, as planned, black on black with the premium package,
martybl

I thought the was a law that you couldn't buy a black car in the phoenix area ; )

FNO
Having owned an older M3, your biggest issue with the car will be that you can't drive it at speed anywhere......except maybe the desert in your area.

Having just been all over Scottsdale in a Shelby, watch the wonderful speed vans they have and the new "experimental" camera speed traps.

Nice area..........the camera systems blow though.
Agreed, but after spending a day at Limerock with the car in front of me spinning out..........it's not for everyone.

The suggestion that you have your totalled car towed off the lot before calling insurance also made me a bit nervous.

LOL.
..........it's not for everyone.

True, a race track is an extreme environment. Autocross, on the other hand, is what you make of it. You would have to do something seriously loopy to damage anything other than your ego, and you won't get tangled up in anyone else's oopsie. It's cheap, fun, and extremely educational.

Neil
True, a race track is an extreme environment. Autocross, on the other hand, is what you make of it. You would have to do something seriously loopy to damage anything other than your ego, and you won't get tangled up in anyone else's oopsie. It's cheap, fun, and extremely educational.

Did autocross twice this year.

Went to Englishtown once and watched one in my younger years. Guy had a new M coupe at the time and thought he was the crap on the autocross course. He also had his young son with him and took him for his first run.

He and his son jumped on the track and proceeded to spin out on a hairpin. Guy drove straight off the course never to be seen again......absolutely hilarious and will stick in my mind forever.

I like autocross.....but it's also not for everyone
... except here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&q=bmw+club+phoenix

Thanks for the link. I was wondering if there was a Phoenix-area BMW club, figured that there probably was, but never got around to checking for it - thanks for the link. When I had my Corvette, I never warmed up to the local Corvette club, seemed like a bunch of old guys who'd known each other forever who liked to polish more than drive. Now that I'm officially an "old guy" myself, maybe my perspective will have changed.

It's encouraging that they're having driving events - those do sound like fun - maybe I'll register and go to a meeting or two.

martybl
Having just been all over Scottsdale in a Shelby, watch the wonderful speed vans they have and the new "experimental" camera speed traps.

We pretty much know the places where they park the camera minivans - no big deal. As of yesterday, they've shut off the six "speed-cams" on the North Scottsdale part of the loop 101. They're going to "study" the results, and decide whether or not to make them permanent. As a driver, resident, and a parent of small children, I would vote for making them permanent.

The loop 101 was a scary place prior to the cameras. Everybody was driving eighty, except for those important impatient types, who were driving one-hundred mph, often while talking on a cell-phone. Notwithstanding, there was an occasional person, usually old, who was driving BELOW the posted 65 mph speed limit. Traffic flow was frightening. The cameras have served to at least moderate the speed differential a little bit.

Although, in theory, I'm opposed to the cameras, in practice, I'd probably vote to keep the cameras on the loop 101.

martybl

Although, in theory, I'm opposed to the cameras, in practice, I'd probably vote to keep the cameras on the loop 101.

From my experience, all the locals slowed down as they approached the experiment and then sped back up to 80 or so.

As a newbie to the area, it took a few jaunts around the area to figure out the speeds and then slam the gas down around them. I also read on the Internet that if you are an out of state resident, Arizona needs to hand deliver the summons or you can essentially ignore it completely There are a few write ups on the net specific to Arizona on the subject.

No. of Recommendations: 2
it took a few jaunts around the area to figure out the speeds and then slam the gas down around them.

No, they're not tricky - they're big fixed cameras, that anyone who retains a little bit of visual acuity can see. However, even if folks like me slow down to 73 mph,around the cameras, and then immediately return to eighty-plus mph, it at least cuts down on the number of folks willing to drive 100-plus mph.

martybl - who, if dictator, would vote to keep the cameas, set the speed that triggers the cameras to eighty-five, and set the lower limit at sixty-five - if you can't drive that fast, stick to the surface streets.

martybl
I thought the was a law that you couldn't buy a black car in the phoenix area ; )

You know, you see a fair number of them, including two of my partners, one of whom uses a "E" Mercedes in black as her daily driver, the other of whom uses a black S500 as his daily driver. I'm told that they really don't make the heat any worse, what with modern air conditioning and such. I'm told that the biggest problem is, like everywhere else, keeping them clean. Black shows ANY dirt, and it's hard to get the wax swirl marks off.

martybl
Don't underestimate what a quality tint will do to keep the car cooler. It will still get hot, but by screening out some of the solar heat, the car cools MUCH faster when you get in and start the AC. In S. Florida ours cars are red/black and black/black.
I won't be without cooled/ventilated seats on a car now thast they are available. I think they make more difference than color.

GeeB