Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
Some time has passed since I have mentioned anything about my proposed new book, The Checklist Investor. So here is where we stand.

The draft is super, IMO. 35 primary chapters, which start with idea generation and then taking you thru the entire investment cycle, to fact gathering, analysis, portfolio management, and when to sell. (The 'revenue' chapter alone is 8 pages.)

Plus, there are another 10-15 supplementary chapters that are interspersed throughout, such as how identify the revenue model, Altman Z score, West Coast Asset Management Company's 10 signs of a strong company, Casey's 8 P's, Peter Cundill's 7 lessons, Montier's 7 laws, behavioral investing, how to write for impact, etc.

The book also has plenty of tips from the world's best investors, including a few of our favorite Motley Fool writers.

In short, I am trying to write the type of book that I want to read, and I am also trying to leave out all the boring parts. More to the point, my goal is to write a book you'll keep on your desk and use as a reference guide every time you are in stock-picking mode.

Ideally, we'll publish in landscape format, rather than the traditional portrait format. With landscape, I am able to pack more info about a topic onto the same page. I'd also like The Checklist Investor spiral-bound, to prevent the pages from flipping over while our hands are busy typing or highlighting 10-Ks.

I sent a 10-page cover letter to a few publishers, and I hope to talk with them this month. My cover letter emphasized why this book is unique, and how I intend to promote it.

One idea for promotion is creating Checklist Investor Quarterly, a free e-letter that contains links to useful articles of interest to readers and potential buyers. I started collecting links last month, and already have several articles you'll want to read to keep abreast of topics like earnings quality, stewardship, competitive advantage, valuation, and so forth. Look for the first issue in the new year. If you want to be on the circulation list and you don't think I have your e-mail address, please send me a note to Hewitt.Heiserman@EarningsPower.com.

I have received lots of constructive feedback from many of you, and you will be acknowledged in the book. Since I have added lots of new material in the last several weeks, let me clean up the mess, and then, if you are still interested, I will send you a draft of the entire book which you can proof read. I have told potential publishers that I intend to leverage the IETC discussion board to ask for editing help. So the more of you that look at the manuscript and point out what you like, and esp. what you don't like, the better. If you like the book, chances are others will, too.

Thanks,

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.