No. of Recommendations: 0
Original Thread here:
http://boards.fool.com/the-next-chapter-received-the-written...

Update: I sent a reply on the 18th to my contact at my student loan servicer with my offer to pay off the loan in full immediately with a letter promising no negative info to be sent to the credit reporting agencies, etc.

The contact always responded very quickly to my emails, with the only delays being the time zone issue. However, now I am suddenly persona non grata.

My request as to the status of my offer was met with the exact same answer to my first message to him. All of our messages are on the same thread which he started. He pretended as if he had no idea who I was despite the fact he was replying to the thread which he started.

I have an appt to speak with someone at my local JAG office. Never needed a lawyer before. Not sure what to expect. I have about 10lbs of very well organized documentation of everything from original contracts to emails to the envelopes :)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm glad you're going to consult a lawyer. I do think you are in the right, but you need to get beyond the first line of defenses.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I hope your local JAG office can help you resolve this issue. If it were me, this is where paying the balance in full would be "winning" - since winning to me is not have to deal with unnecessary hassel caused by inept companies.
If it were me, this is where paying the balance in full would be "winning" - since winning to me is not have to deal with unnecessary hassel caused by inept companies.

Completely agree. Contacting a lawyer will probably make the hassles smooth out. It seems like some people are more irritating until the lawyers get involved and then it's all 'let's get this fixed'.

I wish you luck. What a mess.
No. of Recommendations: 6
My appt at the local JAG office seemed to go very well. The lawyer knew exactly what issue I was dealing with regarding my loan servicer being switched.
The lawyer was impressed with all of the information I had available, each question the lawyer asked I had paperwork backing up each statement and the spiraling problems. Even with the ombudsmen who were less than helpful.

The place for those with these problems is the Consumer Finance Bureau which is a government organization. The lawyer stated there have been quite a few resolutions to this through the Consumer Finance Bureau:
http://www.consumerfinance.gov

The lawyer stated they were going to contact the Consumer Finance Bureau to hopefully help get this all resolved and the negative marks on my credit reports removed that shouldn't be there.

It may be a couple of weeks before we get everything resolved but I do have some hope and feel so much better :)

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions and support!
The idea that getting attorneys involved gets things moving might be the funniest I've ever read.