Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I'd love to be shouting this from the rafters, but it would probably be taken as bragging.

Exciting news! DH's 401k made more than he did this year!

DH makes around $80k gross. Contributions were $20125 (incl employer match) and investment gains were $94870 :) Our balance to start 2014 is $445k.

I just love years like this!

The lesson, though, is it takes money to make money. And that savings over time really add up. We do work really hard to keep our expenses as low as possible. He's contributed the max every year since he's started working there in 2000. His employer match was really generous in the past (it was only 15% this year, 25% the last few years.)

I stopped working in 2005 to stay at home with children. We've got 4 year old and 8 year old daughters. We've managed to continue to contribute to his 401k, made Roth contributions (were maxed until 2012 when we just didn't have the savings to transfer over), and have almost paid off our house. We do send our 8 year old to Catholic School, and our 4 year old will join her there in the fall. I haven't been contributing much to the college accounts lately, but the girls each still have at least $35k saved in 529 accounts and my older daughter has $9k in a Coverdell acct. (I started saving in 2002 (in the 529s) before they were born and when I was making money.)

We don't have much emergency savings, but my dad functions as our emergency fund. He's actually our mortgage holder right now. We just bought a new to us 2007 Town and Country to replace my 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan with an additional $7K borrowed from him. We'll have my dad paid off in March 2015. And then we will be completely debt free. All of the money we make will be ours to spend (and save) as we wish!

Including our house, we hit a million dollars in net worth early in 2013, and when we get home from a little trip to Chicago visiting my sister, I'll calculate it again. Yeah to us!

(A mothering board I'm on has a thread like this - things you'd like to put as a status update on Facebook, but that really wouldn't go over too well for whatever reason.)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
monica3674
(A mothering board I'm on has a thread like this - things you'd like to put as a status update on Facebook, but that really wouldn't go over too well for whatever reason.)

Ya, I get that. I'm the same way. As jubilant as I was over my FIRE progress in 2013, I don't share that information with most friends and family. There are multiple reasons why I don't want them to know. Some are leeches. Some are busy-bodies. Some are in debt up to their eyeballs and envious. They would just tear me and my wife down because of our success. I don't need that.

I prefer to talk about it with FIRE buddies who have similar financial values and goals.

Metal
No. of Recommendations: 0
Congrats on the first million!

Your post made me look at my investments. We had a good year too in spite of some challenges that required using part of our e-fund. Our retirement accounts grew more than our regular income - amazing considering that contributions were about half as much as we usually contribute. The kids' education accounts (Coverdell + 529) have about half of the total amount we believe they will need. Oldest is only 2.5 years away from college but we have been saving the bulk of the money in taxable accounts. Now that the state is eliminating the incentive to contribute to 529 accounts, I need to decide if I want to continue feeding these tax-advantaged accounts or keep saving separately.

I'm making plans to FIRE after the kids are done with college - 9.5 years to go!

- zol
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'd love to be shouting this from the rafters, but it would probably be taken as bragging.

Careful, I got criticized on the millionaire board when I said that I found it ironic that I couldn't discuss one of my most significant accomplishments with my live friends.

Suffice it to say that I agree with you and congratulations!

-murray
Exciting news! DH's 401k made more than he did this year!

Congratulations.

I had a realization similar to that. I contributed more to stocks in the 401K and Vanguard, than my first year out of the Army's annual salary last year. That made me feel good. I'm still building, so I'll have to be content with that achievement this year.

fredinseoul
Wow!
Impressive returns! Good for you guys! I'd be dancing!
But not on facebook -

Your post made me look.
We are traveling slow and steady like a turtle and are mere inches away from the first finish line. But I think we need 1.5 or 2.

At least we don't have to deal with a mortgage anymore. That was a priority of ours years ago. Now it's all going toward that finish line.

Thanks GoofyHoofy for the suggestion of the other board. We may be there soon! There's some good reads there.

Inching ahead,
nag