Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I badly need to know about how we are taxed when we invest in US stocks through Suretrade, Datek, etc.

I just received the following informative paragraph on the subject of investing in US stocks and Capital Gains Tax, but unfortunately there are a lot of 'generally's included.

Does anyone have actual experience with buying and selling through, say Suretrade or Datek?

- Julian

<-- extract follows -->

"Generally, capital gains received by a nonresident alien who does not reside in the United States for 183 days or more are not taxable. Dividends are withheld upon at the 30% or reduced tax treaty rate. Generally, interest received by a nonresident alien from U.S. sources that is not connected with a U.S. trade or business is not taxable. Interest in U.S. accounts in banks is usually not taxable to nonresident aliens. However there are exceptions to these rules.
Please refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens, regarding this issue. If your withholding is not at the correct tax rate, you would have to file form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Tax Return to receive a refund."
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.