Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

As you can see, i'm pretty new here (in investing at all). I'm a Canadian and I heard that there is a 15% Tax on long term stocks (on dividends for example) from US gouv. How does it work and how Canadians are affected with that kind of taxes ?

I'm still new and still digging here and there for all the information I can find, but this world of investing, just never ends. I've been reading for weeks and I feel like I still know nothing at all...

Kind of scare making big mistakes with taxes and US / CA laws and stuff.

Thanks for you help.


PS: For those who know TFSA in Canada, I just opened one and I want to invest in US stocks from that account.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.