Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In my 'job' as a tax councilor for the elderly I have noticed, this year, that most people did not receive any tax forms. Normally, at least the last couple of years, people have received them in the mail in January. This year only about one in ten have the forms booklets.

Just an observation. I wonder if the IRS changed contractors or changed criteria or what. Have any of you noticed this?

Regards
Pat

Print the post Back To Top
Generally, the IRS does not send forms booklets to anyone who:

>Did their own return on a computer the prior year.
>Used a paid preparer the prior year.
>E-filed the prior year.

Those folks get a postcard with a mailing label, and later, a 1040-V with estimated tax vounchers, usually.

It's been that way for a few years now.

Bill
Just an observation. I wonder if the IRS changed contractors or changed criteria or what. Have any of you noticed this?

If you efile, you generally don't receive mailed forms the following year - I imagine the IRS figures that you'll be efiling again, so why kill trees needlessly?

(On the other hand, at least someone in the IRS forms/pubs department seems to be hopelessly behind schedule, or maybe just plain clueless. Out of the blue, our TCE site last week received a shipment of 3-4 boxes of IRS pubs and forms - mostly Pub 17, but also assorted 1040 forms, schedules, and instructions. Good timing, with the end of tax season looming. We set almost all of it out for the recycling people.)

Lorenzo

>E-filed the prior year.

Those folks get a postcard with a mailing label, and later, a 1040-V with estimated tax vounchers, usually.
-----------------------------------

Yes, I have seen the vouchers personally because I use tax software at home. But, At our site we are dealing with paper and pen, year after year. So our customers should be receiving the forms booklets. Many expressed concern because thay had not received them. It is like any other 'change', it causes concern.
I guess if we had been using efile I wouldn't have even noticed the 'change'.

Regards
Pat

>E-filed the prior year.

-----------------------------------

Yes, I have seen the vouchers personally because I use tax software at home. But, At our site we are dealing with paper and pen, year after year. So our customers should be receiving the forms booklets. Many expressed concern because thay had not received them. It is like any other 'change', it causes concern.
I guess if we had been using efile I wouldn't have even noticed the 'change'.

I believe your clients fall under the "use a paid preparer" reason for not receiving booklets. Even though you are a volunteer site, the returns you prepare are signed by someone in addition to the taxpayer(s). The IRS assumes that the taxpayer will be receiving assistance the next year.

Ira
Hey. They didn't even send postcard this year. ed
I did not receive even a postcard from state or federal, but we did efile last year.
I didn't receive a postcard either, and I used a tax preparer last year that paper filed.
I didn't receive a postcard either, and I used a tax preparer last year that paper filed.

Ditto, except I go to my Kroger store and hand over my paper copies of both federal and state returns to the agents who are there on the evening of tax day.

Then while I'm there, I might buy a bottle of wine or something to dull my pain! ;-)

Carol
No. of Recommendations: 1
Then while I'm there, I might buy a bottle of wine or something to dull my pain! ;-)

I didn't have any pain, but I think I did swing by the store on the way home.

The pain was nine months earlier, when I sold my front-load, high expense funds and purchased no-load, low expense funds and, in the process, realized almost $21,000 of capital losses in the taxable part of my portfolio, which is about as much as I live off of (after taxes) in a year!

No, I didn't intend to reduce my tax obligation for the next seven years by doing this!
No. of Recommendations: 1
No, I didn't intend to reduce my tax obligation for the next seven years by doing this!

Since DH and I are both 71 yrs. old, I'm not sure we'll live long enough to use up the current capital losses, not to mention stocks with a loss I haven't sold. I do have some winners I could sell, but many of them are keepers. (Yes, I know I could buy them back later.) Right now I'm saving the losses for an expected gain this year, so I hope it comes to pass.

$21K....piffle! ;-)

Carol
yes, i noticed. i did not use a computer or a paid preparer lst year, nor did i e-file. and i did not get my tax forms in the mail as expected.

c.