No. of Recommendations: 0
A while back we went through the process, got our GOES/PreCheck done, but now we here from my SIL as she is booking an Italy trip that we need to update our numbers... Haven't found anything solid online yet, and wonder why we haven't had a notification at all. We're about to solidify our July/Augus flights, so we need to give them the right numbers...

Any articles, words of wisdom on this update?

weco
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Any articles, words of wisdom on this update?

Really not enough information.
SWAG - you need to add known travel number to a different airline or cruise company ?
Second SWAG - your drivers license is not real id compliant and you need to use your Global Entry card ?
Ask SIL for more info. Update to what? Maybe if they changed for some reason (what happens when you renew the GOES?).

We used ours a month ago for a short domestic flight. The airline took the numbers, the boarding passes listed us as pre-check, and we coasted through TSA in the fast lane. FWIW.
We are soon settling the final flight info, but when we heard there were changes, it sounds like the numbers change from what we've already told the airline, so it shoes up on our tickets...

But if you've recently flown, maybe no problem...
Well, it's all kind of odd, but SIL is gone to a wedding, so we'll see what's up later, sounds like her booking agent brought it up, but she hadn't signed up with GOES at all yet, so maybe confused... My GOES card is good through 2021, Passport through 2022, so no need to renew either...

just want to be sure we're set up right... Part of our trip, the return to the US is not via the cruise line, so maybe that's the difference between us and SIL...

Hopefully we're just overreacting..
OK, this seems to be the heart of the problem, so we need to migrate our GOES to Trusted Traveler....

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1321/~/goes-acc...
I used my GOES number to fly domestically, in late February. No problem getting through TSA PRE.

I also used the Trusted Traveler website for information, when I got the GOES certificate about a year ago.

FWIW
🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
Final answer was, and we just did it for both of our GOES/Pre Accounts, was that in October they quit using the original GOES Logins to our Accounts, so we had to Create a New Account under the Trusted Traveler Program, a new password, and after a couple verification codes, via our Cells, as well as email, then finally inputting the PASSID from the GOES card tying it to the New Account...

Not exactly an obvious thing to do, but the link I posted a bit ago does explain it in gov-speak.. So I dove in, did mine, then DW's... And finally back to our cruise/air reservation site, and popped the GOES info in there, really that part was unrelated to the TTP account update as it's the same GOES card...

So a little stir, and now sorted out...

Thanks for listening! :)

weco
Ah. We got our Global Entry done in November or December (I forget), so we probably already used that system of which you speak. Hence no problem when we flew last month.
There ya go, it's been almost 3 years since we went to Denmark, and had set up our GOES prior to that.. So, even tho they have our contact info, we never had any notice that we needed to redo the account.

As it was, on that trip, coming into NY from Denmark, the timing was terrible, all the GOES/Pre lines were as long as if we hadn't even had them. We should have held out for a direct flight into SFO... A very long day...

All in the timing...
Renewed my Global Entry about a year ago and continue to use the same number.

Jeff
We used ours a month ago for a short domestic flight.

As did we: April 3 and 8. We've never used the card instead of DL for going through TSA. Worked fine. No problem.
We got ours in Nov. 2017 and they worked fine earlier this month.
"...so we had to Create a New Account under the Trusted Traveler Program..."

"Had to" why? I've never wanted/needed to access my GOES account once I had gotten my card. We traveled abroad in late November (with no problems) and will be doing it again in 3 weeks.
"Had to" why? I've never wanted/needed to access my GOES account once I had gotten my card. We traveled abroad in late November (with no problems) and will be doing it again in 3 weeks.

Well, part of the change to Trusted traveler Program adds an individual's code, so that if your account is compromised, card lost, it will help you prove your identity without a face to face appointment is one thing mentioned.

At renewal time, your current GOES account will no longer work, so why not stay current?

All is well, until it isn't. So rather than fighting it, we opted to go with it... YMMV..

weco
Same number, PASSID, yes, but come renewal time, the old GOES account access password will not work, you will, as they note, have to create a new, Trusted Traveler Program account and migrate the GOES Account, so we just got ahead of the game a bit, although it's been going since October 2017, I think it said...

As of October 1, 2017 you are no longer able to access your GOES account. You will need to create an account with our new Trusted Traveler System. Please do not submit a new application and fee, if you have done so through GOES, as all our fees are non-refundable and you will be liable for all fees incurred.

Here's the FAQ related: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1321/~/goes-acc...

weco
I have a "code"? Guess I'll need that face-to-face, because I'm not aware I had one much less what it is.
During the migration procedure they pop the code onscreen, a XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX formatted thing that they tell you to write down as well as print a copy as it's needed later in the migration process..

Maybe it'll come up on your next renewal...
Oh, I vaguely remember that. Didn't think I'd need it again. I may have to log in and see if it asks. I'm sure I did save a PDF of the screen at the time. Somewhere.
Maybe it'll come up on your next renewal...

I renewed mine earlier in the year. I started with the current card and went from there. I don't remember anything stressful or unusual. I will need to start thinking about the timing of getting a new passport since mine will be full before it's up for renewal but I do have a couple of months in 2020 when I am sure I will be in the US.

Maybe someone's neighbor's brother's barber has more information.
The instructions put the fear of losing that code in me.
Supposedly, if I have some problem and lose the card, my ID, etc, that code is the only way to verify my GOES status. If I lose that code, they said the consequences would be dire.

FWIW
🤨
ralph
I think the only consequences would be delays at the airport, or having to pay the fees and do the face to face appointment game all over again...

Our original GOES session was rough, we never noticed the appointment times were in 24 hour MIL time, so went to SFO for what we thought was our 2 PM appointments, well, it was actually at 2 AM earlier that morning, but as long as we were there, we put our names in on a standby list, and held out, about 7 hours I think it was... It went well, but DW's fingerprints didn't register on a couple of their machines, but they dealt with it fine. I had a great big Irich ex-Cop, as I watched him during the day, it was a kick to see how he defused, calmed folks down with his sense of humor, personality. I made a point of telling him that in the midst of our time together, helped make his day I hope... Good guy doing a tough job...

Anyway, maybe this thread will just stir someone to taking action early, avoiding additional stresses later...

weco
The instructions put the fear of losing that code in me.
Supposedly, if I have some problem and lose the card, my ID, etc, that code is the only way to verify my GOES status. If I lose that code, they said the consequences would be dire.

Take a picture of the code, store it online/ email it to yourself...

peace & finding codes
t

posted about renewal process a few months ago

https://boards.fool.com/i-am-sure-things-will-change-in-5-ye...
I'm almost certain I got a screenshot. Now I'm going to have to find it somehow. Hmmm....
I'm almost certain I got a screenshot. Now I'm going to have to find it somehow. Hmmm....

Searching by date or a limited date range often works.