Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Using extreme heat (some people use a self-cleaning oven) is not a good thing - Ax me (or OleDoc) how I managed to break a vintage Griswold cast iron skillet that lasted many years, until I got ahold of it.

Would 800 be enough. I didn't have any issues with the pan after that. I just did it to turn a bunch of gunk into ash, as I already had the grill on. I have used the cast iron on that grill before if I'm cooking outside though. I figured it could take it as old school woks are made of cast iron, and their traditional flames are very hot.

I tend to get new lodge so I don't have to worry about rust, although I've seen a bit on the bottom from, well who knows. Probably from me not drying the bottom off as well and it not having a good seasoning on the bottom.

Of course, my point rather that there is not a lot of harm in using salt to clean if you are doing it rarely. If you are using salt to clean after each use, you are doing it wrong. I can't see having a good seasoning if you are scraping it off after every use.

And speaking of salt and cleaning.
If you left a pot of coffee burn down, and now have burnt coffee in the bottom of the pot, or it just needs a good clean. Throw some salt in there and some ice cubes, then just swirl it around. It usually takes care of everything with very little effort.

Ford
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.