No. of Recommendations: 3
Using musselmant's GTR1 link, but starting 20131231 with 0.4% friction, the return becomes 11.27%,
just a bit above the return that B&H SPY gives at 10.97% and well below the return of QQQ at
16.37%. So momentum definitely has slowed lately. On the other hand in some old tests I ran
using VL screens I found momentum screens profited the most from using a pair of bear catchers.

Since that may still be true, I'd suggest trying both $SPX>200-day SMA of $SPX, which is close to the test I called Z in the following link, together with the standard ema(9) of $NAHL new highs minus new lows test. That is, avoid the market when both say to stay out.

I would have done this here, but I don't recall how to add these properly in GTR1.

https://boards.fool.com/more-bear-catcher-stats-31221558.asp...

rrjjgg
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.