Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have 2 minor custodial accounts; one for each of my children. They still have each 5 and 7 years before college. If I raise them properly, they will use these money only for college, I hope. :)

I started these about 10 years ago, and each month I deposited money and purchased some shares of mutual funds. I have been paying taxes on the dividends, and distributions. From asking the board experts here, I learned that I will begin filing individual tax returns this year because the amount of dividends and distributions have exceeded certain amount. But, that is not my question today.

My question is, by the time we are ready to sell some of the mutual funds and withdraw cash for their colleges, do I need to go way back and start calculating the cost bases? I am afraid I have not kept all monthly statements for all these years.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.