Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm scanning all the news wires and business briefs looking for some reason why UTX has been on the downward slide since it split. Is this a natural phenomena or did I miss a piece of bad news?
Print the post Back To Top
I've been scanning also, but haven't seen any news. I bought a little more yesterday at about 65 and change.
The reason it is going dowmn the tubes is probably because i bought 100 shares right after the split was announced.It went up 3 points beforeI got my order in and executed.Since then it has been all downhill! My ex financial advisor talked me into selling 200 shares when it was selling for $72 per share less than a year ago.Then it climbed until it reached 146 when I deided to get back in.Talk about bad timing,this is a classic example!I was told that when a company's stock splits it surges when it is announced and again when it officially does.It surged before I ,could get back in but as soon as I did its been all downhill.I know how to get it going back up again-just sell my shares! I can't win for losing.And to think I worked for this corp. and retired from there.
The probable reason for the decline is it split about the same time the Fed announced a possible interest rate hike and because profit takers sold their shares after the last price surge driving down the price. I work for UTC presently and have made a lot of money with UTC stock. It is a winner. In fact it has already started it's come back. Hang in there.
Thanks for the insider insight. Is UTX - specifically the P&W division - experiencing any drop in orders due to the Lockheed-Martin announced decline? It would seem logical that if the aircraft makers catch cold, then the engine makers will at least feel a chill.
Sorry to let you in on a secret,but....
The old adage of sell on good news and buy on bad news apply's here. But don't worry, if you keep this thing as a core holding, you're be okay.

Myself, I've been waiting along time for this baby to come to me. Now all I have to do is look for that entry point to nibble and average on down.

I never go chasing after stocks, but even so when you think a stock has hit bottom, there can always be a nasty surprise around the corner. Ahh..the caveats of investing. Better luck on others, and try buying good stocks on your own, and keep the gems and trade the rollercoasters (tech's).
Haven't heard of any decline in engine order from Pratt. I think the lockheed problems are more with space flight rather than aircraft. All of the unmanned launch failures lately have stung Lockheed.
Is UTX - specifically the P&W division - experiencing any drop in
orders due to the Lockheed-Martin announced decline? It would seem logical that if the aircraft
makers catch cold, then the engine makers will at least feel a chill.

Certainly a logical question, intuitive even. But a major difference between engines and planes is that one plane will use many engines over its service life. And the owners (airlines?) usually have spares to swap out during specified maintenance periods, so the plane can stay profit-generating. If they quit making planes tomorrow, engines would still be a commodity for many years.

And retrofitting older planes with more efficient engines (more profit) is a whole business in itself!

John (attempting to be Foolish)

I work in P&W division.Commercial orders start to taper off 2nd half of 99 and 2000 looks really weak not until 2001 when things pick up.We are going from 55 to 65 engines a month to 35 to 45.Military doesn't look much better.Retirement packages are being offered to hourly for the 2nd time in 6 months deadline is the end of June.Look for layoffs 2nd half of 99.
Humm, I've never heard of an aircraft being retrofitted . If you know of one could you supply some kind of verifiable reference.
Go to
http://www.pratt-whitney.com/news/1999/0803.html

for more information on the engine retrofit.