Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Would someone please confirm something for me?

My brother moved to Virginia a few years ago after retiring from the NYPD.

He's been forwarding his paperwork to a NY tax preparer every year but now he wants to find someone here in the VA area. My brother has been hesitant in trying to find a local Virginia tax preparer because he doesn't think they'll know about claiming his NY Pension on NY state forms.

My question: Is it correct that as long as my brother is receiving his NY pension that he has to complete the NY Non-Resident or Part-Year Resident Form (Form IT-203)?

This just seems wierd that for the rest of his life, even though he has no intention on returning to NY, that he has to file that form!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.