Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking to see if any alternatives exist.

I will be buying a vacation home which has rental commitments beyond the closing date that I have to honor. The rent for the those commitments will come to me and I'll presumably get a 1099 from the management company. My intention isn't to rent it out again, i.e. beyond the commitments I am obligated to honor, in case that matters. I'd love to recognize the rent received as a reduction of the purchase price rather than as income (and have to pay taxes on it!) - which economically is exactly how I approached the offer price.

Does anyone know of any options for how to account for the rental 'income' I'll be receiving? Or is it pretty cut and dried that I have to recognize income (in which case, I'll be looking for deductions!). Thanks for reading.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.