Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/health/covid-vaccine-acip-mee...

Americans need to be prepared for the possibility that they may feel a little unwell after they get a coronavirus vaccine, if one is authorized, members of a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory committee said Monday.

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices met to discuss whether to recommend use of any Covid-19 vaccine that the US Food and Drug Administration might authorize.

Volunteers in vaccine trials have reported they frequently feel flu-like effects after getting vaccinated, and members of the ACIP -- as well as liaison representatives who take part in the discussion -- said that could affect people's willingness to get vaccinated in the first place, or to get the second dose of the two-vaccine regimen.

"As a practicing physician, I have got to be sure my patients will come back for the second dose. We really have got to make patients aware that this is not going to be a walk in the park," Dr. Sandra Fryhofer of the Emory University School of Medicine, representing the American Medical Association, told the meeting.

"They are going to know they got a vaccine. They are not going to feel wonderful."
The whole point of vaccination is to cause an immune response in the body and that can sometimes cause flu-like symptoms such as body aches, or even fever and a headache.

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
The whole point of vaccination is to cause an immune response in the body and that can sometimes cause flu-like symptoms such as body aches, or even fever and a headache.

You just never know. Many years ago here in England the typhoid jab was supposed to be an unpleasant one. After we both had it Mrs D had a fever and the shivers and shakes for a day or so, while I sailed through unaffected!
No. of Recommendations: 1
One of my partners volunteered for the double blind study that UT ran. She was actually happy to have redness in her shoulder and some aches and chills because she was sure she was not in the placebo group then.

JLC - who has never had more than point tenderness from any flu shot.

I felt sick for a day or so after the second Shingrix shot. My allergy doctor had the same reaction. No problem with the first shot, just the second one. And usually little problems with the annual flu shot.
No. of Recommendations: 1
So far no problems with normal flu shots - other than teeny bit sore muscle for a day sometimes. Same for pneumonia one. ....and Shringrix same way.

I'll trade a day of 'the blahs' for a year of COVID protection where normally I got a 1 in 20 chance of dying in my age group if I get it, a 1 in 10 chance of needing hospitalization. Who knows about long term effects, either - from impaired brain, heart, etc. No thanks!

Have two friends now - one going on 95 days gasping in the hospital ICU....... another one spent week in hospital and now at home - still suffering, needing supplemental oxygen and going on a month of that......no end in sight. Not fun to get it. Know five people who are not around any longer. RIP.

Have no interest in joining them 'early'. Nor in the ICU gasping for breath just to stay alive.

t.
JLC, I never had any side effects with pneumonia or flu shots. But, the Shingrix shot was memorable!
Volunteers in vaccine trials have reported they frequently feel flu-like effects after getting vaccinated

That's kind of worrisome, considering that most people feel "flu-like effects" (or less) when they get the actual viral disease.
Volunteers in vaccine trials have reported they frequently feel flu-like effects after getting vaccinated

That's kind of worrisome, considering that most people feel "flu-like effects" (or less) when they get the actual viral disease.

It is pretty common. The whole point of the vaccine is to trigger an immune response. The immune response is what gives you the flu-like symptoms.

JLC noted above an acquaintance believed she got the vaccine because of a sore arm. But she may not have. In some trials they use a different vaccine (meningitis for example) as the placebo so the control group also has some immune response.
The flu vaccine always makes my arm feel sore for a day or two. That brief period of discomfort is well worth the protection.

Similarly, I'm willing to suck it up and risk a very mild illness in order to avoid a full-blown case of COVID-19 or long COVID. That said, I think that avoiding junk food and doubling down on healthy foods (which I will continue to do until the pandemic is over) can reduce the risk of side effects AND make the vaccine more effective.
I think that avoiding junk food and doubling down on healthy foods ...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=song+junk+food+junkie&a...

Desert (makes an occasional run for the border (Taco Bell)) Dave