Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So what is everyone making for Valentine's Day? My menu looks like this:

- roasted tenderloin (I have a recipe that's to die for)
- maple glazed sweet potatoes
- fresh asparagus
- flourless chocolate torte with fresh strawberries

I'm still torn on the potatoes and considering Potatoes Anna, which is a favorite, but it might depend on if I like the asparagus or not. If I don't like the asparagus, I will swap out to balsamic glazed carrots, and then change over to Potatoes Anna so that I don't have 2 sweet sides on the plate.

I prefer to cook for the various holidays, and have found we can have a much nicer and more relaxed dinner at home in our dining room for a lot less cost than going out where the restaurants tend to be crowded and loud, and they treat you like cattle.

So what's on your menu?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
roasted tenderloin (I have a recipe that's to die for)

What is your recipe for the roasted tenderloin if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks,
A.J.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I use Alton Brown's recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/center-cut-t... with a couple of changes.

I use thyme instead of the cumin. I also add 1 tsp garlic powder.

Remember to take the roast out about an hour or two before cooking to let it come to room temperature.

We like it rare, so I cook it to about 120 for us, and I do 125 to 130 for more medium if we are having company.

It takes about 20 minutes per pound for the roasting time. This is important because I tend to get a 2 to 3 pound roast. So this year, I have an almost 3 pound roast, which will give us great left overs, and so my timing looks like this:

10 minutes for searing
15 minutes to rest
~1 hour for roasting time
30 minutes for resting

So it will take about 2 hours just for the cooking, and I will take the roast out 2 hours before that.

This is more a cooking method than a recipe, but it makes the most amazing roast tenderloin. The meat is pricey (I paid $25/pound for it this morning), but I only make this two or three times a year for special dinners. And even with everything I plan to make, we will come in much less expensive than if we were to go out for the same meal, but we find it a whole lot more relaxing and enjoyable just cooking and having dinner in our dining room.

If you try this, let me know how you like it. It can be a bit intimidating to cook something this expensive, but once you've done it once or twice, you get a bit more confident.
I'll probably cook some spaghetti and dump Prego sauce on top.

PSU
I'll probably cook some spaghetti and dump Prego sauce on top.

Don't forget the canned mushrooms!

That's good eating.

Wally
No. of Recommendations: 1
Don't forget the canned mushrooms!

That's good eating.

And the parmesan cheese flavored sawdust
All these comments are making me want to give up eating!

I can still remember when my kids were in college and had apartments. They both brought 3 things from home - jarred spaghetti sauce that started as tomatoes and that I put into those jars, real Vermont maple syrup, and a big hunk of Romano cheese which we prefer because it has a stronger flavor than Parmesan. DS used to bring one more thing back to school after he had spent a weekend at home - gallon jugs of water that we filled from our tap because well water is a whole lot better tasting than city water.

And I wonder why my kids are food snobs....
All these comments are making me want to give up eating!

Don't give up yet. I have pork bellies curing in the refrigerator right now. Next Saturday they go into the smoker. Not everything I do comes out of a jar.

PSU