Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Two of my favorite subjects in books are vampires and elves, so I thought I would ask what vampire books have people read that they like. Of course I have read all of Anne Rice's vampire books, Memnoch was truly horrible but those after haven't been quite as bad. She does need to lay off the religion thing, in my opinion. A truly fantastic series is by Kim Newman and the first book is Anno-Dracula. It is set in an alternate Victorian London populated with real and ficitonal characters. I really enjoyed this book. Of course I also like Tanya Huff, got to meet her at a convention once, and Laurell K. Hamilton. What about you all?

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Read the Anne Rice, stopped after Taltos. She is suffering from Big Author Syndrome. I've been reading the Hamilton vampire books as I come across them - my library doesn't have the entire set. I like them and I hope she manages to maintain the level of quality she is at. Actually I am currently reading the second book in her 'faerie' trilogy, that recently came out in hardback. It's following the same pattern as the first one: very tense, lots of action in a small time frame, and lots of sex. Funny how vampires are always depicted so sensually.

-mapletree
Read the Anne Rice, stopped after Taltos. She is suffering from Big Author Syndrome. I've been reading the Hamilton vampire books as I come across them - my library doesn't have the entire set. I like them and I hope she manages to maintain the level of quality she is at. Actually I am currently reading the second book in her 'faerie' trilogy, that recently came out in hardback. It's following the same pattern as the first one: very tense, lots of action in a small time frame, and lots of sex. Funny how vampires are always depicted so sensually.

-mapletree

You should try Rice's Pandora, it's more like her earlier novels.

Yes I've read Hamilton's faerie books too and am anxious to see where it is all leading. This is supposed to be a closed series as opposed to her Anita books which are open-ended. Obsidian Butterfly definitely gave me the creeps, and some of the newer ones have tended to more sex than plot but are still good. Oh another good series is by Charlaine Harris, the books are Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas.

Mark
I've been dying to read "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. The problem is I can't read horror because I'm a coward and get nightmares. I enjoyed "Interview with a Vampire" so I need someone to gauge just how scary the book is. The movie "Omega Man" was made from the book, which I also saw and didn't have any problems. If you read it, please let me know what you think.

Thuvia

A review from Amazon:

One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary. --Stanley Wiater

I've been dying to read "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. The problem is I can't read horror because I'm a coward and get nightmares. I enjoyed "Interview with a Vampire" so I need someone to gauge just how scary the book is. The movie "Omega Man" was made from the book, which I also saw and didn't have any problems. If you read it, please let me know what you think.

I haven't read the book, but there was an earlier movie starring Vincent Price which told this same story. Maybe someone else knows the movie. The book sounds good. I'll have to try to find it.

What vampire books have people read that they like?

The most compelling vampires I've seen are in John M. Ford's The Dragon Waiting. Dmn, what a fine book. Wizards and vampires et al during The War of the Roses. The vampires are ancillary characters suffering from a highly contagious rare blood disorder, but they are very important. This book won Ford the 1983 World Fantasy Award. It's a gem.

Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tape and The Holmes-Dracula File are fun. An Amazon reviewer suggests reading his "An Old Friend of the Family" (collected in The Vlad Tapes) before either one of those. I have not read "An Old Friend of the Family".
The most compelling vampires I've seen are in John M. Ford's The Dragon Waiting. Dmn, what a fine book. Wizards and vampires et al during The War of the Roses. The vampires are ancillary characters suffering from a highly contagious rare blood disorder, but they are very important. This book won Ford the 1983 World Fantasy Award. It's a gem.

Ford gives me headaches, though.

-mapletree
Ford gives me headaches, though.

I understand. If you wanted to give him just ONE MORE TRY, you might dig up his excellent Star Trek novel The Final Reflection.

...If you've already tried that, then I guess he just gives you headaches.
and Laurell K. Hamilton

I also love vampire books. I read Hamilton's book, "Guilty Pleasures", not too long ago. I didn't enjoy it enough to continue with the series. Are the other books better?

Rice's first books were good (Interview, Lestat, etc.) but I don't enjoy reading her any more either.

I'll try the Newman book.