No. of Recommendations: 4
Vangie (MIL) made a whole bunch of yummy stuff.

I had a Stouffer's individal frozen turkey dinner for lunch (after heating it up of course) and for dinner a Marie Calendar frozen turkey dinner, along with buttered pumpernickel toast (delicious) and now a pumpkin pie is cooling off waiting for me to finish watching Homeland and I have some Cool Whip to put on it.

I had read in Consumer Report's new shopping magazine that both Stouffers and Marie Calendar's dinners are pretty good for what they are and I wanted to compare them. Strike Stouffer's, MC is better. Stouffer's has a frozen dinner I love though--some kind of Bourbon steak tips thing with mashed potatoes.

MC came with a few bits of vegetables on the side but I like lots of vegetables so I also had half a baked acorn squash for both lunch and dinner. I cut the acorn in half and baked it 20 minutes or so, cut side down, then turned it over and filled it with some brown sugar, butter, sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and baked another 10. The acorn was the best thing of all, although I think the pumpkin pie is going to give it a run for its money.

I have been limping around all day because I turned the wrong way when I got out of bed this morning and did something crazy with my knee. I did manage to stoically stumble around and make coffee, feed the cats, fix food, take some things to the trash and take a bath. Other than that I have been babying my knee all day sitting or lying down. I'll do the same for the next couple days. Have plenty to entertain myself including Hallmark Christmas and Thanksgiving movies with happy endings that make you cry, the complete Season 2 of Downton Abbey and the books I'm reading right now--Telegraph Ave. by Michael Chabon, and a collection of old Rolling Stones interviews, Not Fade Away; a Backstage Pass to 20 Years of Rock and roll by Ben Fong Torres. Rolling Stone Magazine started in San Francisco the first year I went to work for San Francisco Public and I remember convincing Miss Ashe, my boss, that we needed to pick it up as a new subscription for the Art and Music Department. Having her agree was almost as exciting as women librarians breaking wardrobe barriers that year at SFPL and being able to start wearing trousers to work.

Ha Ha, it kind of hurts to sit at the computer, feels much better sitting down in recliner or lying down so I probably won't be able to spend a whole lot of money on Black Friday. I sort of was going to order all these $18 large bath towels from Herberger's for 1.97 each for one thing, but now I think I'll just let them go and everything else too. So this little pain is saving me a lot of money. I did get 6 new pair of pajamas earlier this week for $25.00 each instead of their usual $58, since they started their Black Friday business early and always have great sales anyway.

Other than that my Christmas shopping is all done. I've already mailed my granddaughters their libraries (they each get a dozen books) so as to take advantage of an early mailing discount rate to Hawaii and my son and DIL are getting fancy designer perfumes (his and hers), the kind that advertise in Vanity Fair and Vogue with their stiff, scented strips making it difficult to turn the pages and keep the journal open and that I immediately rip out. Calvin Klein this year I think. And Money of course. Individual checks from grandmother, so they can get something they want, or pay off a bill, or just save it. Some people may not like money as a present, maybe even my own family, but it was my favorite thing to get and now it is my favorite thing to give.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.