No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm 49 and new to investing -- about time! I want to close my current SEP (long story) which is worth about $30000 and start a new one elsewhere, probably with Vanguard, with $41000 for '04 (it's ready to go) and - I hope - $41000 or whatever the max is for '05. In addition, I hope to start investing above and beyond my SEP contribution.

Do I go with the Vanguard 2025 for my SEP and put all my money there, or is it better to start with something like the Vanguard Total Market Index Fund and diversify later (after I reach $100000?), or is it better to dive in and invest in a handful of funds and do my own diversifying instead of relying on 2025? I'm not sure if knowing I'm getting into taxable funds (right term?) within the year makes a difference.

A basic question. When we're talking asset allocation -- are we supposed to think in terms of one entire portfolio, or a separate portfolio for tax-deferred retirement savings like my SEP, and a separate portfolio for taxable accounts, for savings above the SEP limit? E.g., could I have a 60/40 split in my SEP but an 80/20 split, say, in my taxable accounts? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm trying to get this straight in my mind.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Janlarc
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.