Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a relevant irs pub that deals with contribution limits, and taxable portion to a nonqualified variable annuity?

My mom contributed $14000 in 2001 to a Life Stages Variable Annuity, and her tax advisor isn't happy with that amount of contribution.(stating that she couldn't contribute that much by law) He is also concerned that she would be taxed on the entire amount.(including the 2001 post tax contribution) This has been an ongoing issue between the tax advisor and NY Life representative.(They had discussions, but neither could iron out differences of interpreting the tax law regarding this vehicle) I'm kinda caught in between trying to help my mom, but would like to send both(tax advisor and NYLife representative something to clear this up) I think that part of the issue might be that the tax advisor isn't comfortable on this vehicle's designation.(is it nonqualified or qualified or does it have an IRA designation?) I looked over my mom's paperwork, and it doesn't say anything about being an IRA, nor does it say anything about being nonqualified. I wonder if a product like this can be assumed nonqualifying since it is independent that of an employer?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.