Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I wanted to put some initial impressions here. Benchmarks are one thing, "feel" is another. The Vega 64 card replaced an RX 380. Definitely not a low end card, but not the top of the line in its generation.

So what is the card like? I was hugely impressed by the speed of the Windows desktop (at 4k resolution). How impressed? I've been planning a new computer build for a couple years now, but the first part was always a new (Vega) GPU. The only game I've played so far is Diablo III with my daughter in England. The difference is night and day. For example, playing a Necromancer, I have a group of skeletons following me around. These skeletons now have much more detail and color. (How do you add color to a skeleton? Red scarves. But the skeletons have more detail and are rendered in multiple shades of white and gray.)

But back to the desktop. I did the upgrade to an SSD C: drive a couple of years ago instead of a new rebuild. Enough of an improvement that I decided to put off the rebuild--but maybe buy a Vega card--which hadn't been released at the time. The improvement in feel is so great that I may put off a Ryzen 2 build until next year. The big win for me is typing speed. I do type about 50 wpm, so those of you who have never had a job which required typing--especially on a non-electric typewriter--may not notice. But the feel is that the instant I hit the key, the letter shows up on the screen. Is it going to push my typing back up to 60-80 wpm? It may.

Why do I look a the characters on the screen? It may have been to make sure I hit the right key once upon a time, but now I think it is because it is the only thing for me to watch on the screen that is changing. There is also spellchecking, but I normally ignore that and keep going--only about 25% of the words marked as misspelled actually are--so I go through an online dictionary for words that are not obvious typos.

Anyway, no buyer's remorse, and I may try out those three games later this week.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.