Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, I'm a Massachusetts resident for the whole year. In December of 2004 I registered my car with Mass. So in 2005 I paid a small excise tax for the one month in 2004, and my full excise tax for 2005.

I'll say upfront that this doesn't matter. I don't exceed the standard deduction. But I'm curious about this and like to learn as I go for future years when I may itemize :)

When I go into the TurboTax "taxes paid" section, I get to the "Vehicle Registration" section, the help page says:
You can deduct a portion of your vehicle license or registration fee if the:

- Fee is based on the vehicle's value.
- Tax is imposed annually.

Great, so it's deductible!

But then on the page where I enter the amount it says:
Vehicle registration fees in your resident state are not tax deductible.

And the help section also provides a nice list of states in which they are deductible, and Mass is not on there.

But, this isn't a "registration fee", it's an annual tax, which is based on the vehicle's value. Is TurboTax crossing its wires here? Or is there some reason why Mass Vehicle Excise Tax is not a deduction?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.