Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a vent because I can't on FB or Twitter since my kid follows me on those platforms.

My oldest graduated in '18. Talented in writing and visual arts, got into every school they applied to. Had large scholarships to every school. Chose to go to the small art school majoring in animation despite me & DH's misgivings (what if you change your mind about doing animation type of stuff). We wanted them to go to a school with a broad list of majors just in case.

COVID was rough. Their mental health took a major hit doing on-line work. They miss the in-person give and take of art school. Grades took a hit as well. Decided to transfer...to the college she refused to consider. Planning on majoring in creative writing. So even though most of the classes will transfer, this will add 1.5-2 years until graduation. Mostly due to needing math/science/foreign language/business requirements that were not even offered at the previous school.

Now, because of being a Fool (and the full-tuition scholarship they had), financially this will not hurt. We still have more than enough to cover the degree (and my DH & I want to cover the batchelors degree of our kids). We have, however, set limits on this change. We have told them this is a last chance.

At least my younger kid has learned from his older sibling & plans to go to a liberal arts college. He has NFC what he wants to do, but Albion has a wide range of majors to explore.

I just needed a safe place to vent. Thanks.

Big kids, big problems.

Kristi
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.