Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Recently I used annualcreditreport.com to request reports from each of the big 3.

Each asked a series of questions to verify my identity.

For example, one of the questions had a list of street names, and asked me to click on one that matched a previous address.

Another had a list of banks & mortgage companies, and asked from which had I previously had a mortgage.

I've seen similar questions when applying for credit, and I've never had a problem with them. For Experian and Transunion, this worked fine, and I quickly had a downloadable copy of my reports.

But when I got to Equifax, none of the choices were correct. For example, it listed five banks, and asked from which I had a car loan. The answer was none of the above.

In fact, the answer was none of the above for ALL the questions.

At the end, they said they couldn't verify my identity, and I had to mail in a request form, and get a paper copy of my report.

Has anyone heard of this before?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
But when I got to Equifax, none of the choices were correct. For example, it listed five banks, and asked from which I had a car loan. The answer was none of the above.

In fact, the answer was none of the above for ALL the questions.

They pull the questions from your credit file, possibly from several years ago. They do include 'none of the above' as a valid answer. That said, if banks have merged, or credit card portfolios have been sold, you may not know the correct name of the lender. And if you don't currently have a car loan, but had one, say, 7 years ago, was that one of the 5 lenders? If so, then your answer probably should not have been 'none of the above'.

At the end, they said they couldn't verify my identity, and I had to mail in a request form, and get a paper copy of my report.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Yes, I have heard of having to send in information in order to verify your identity.

AJ
I've had 1 car loan in my life, and it was paid off about 15 years ago. The bank was not one of the choices.

The merger explanation makes the most sense.

Thanks.
Yes, I have heard of having to send in information in order to verify your identity.

No, I meant have you heard of being ask a bunch of verification questions, where none of the offered answers were correct?

For example, it asked where my mortgage was, and give me four choices, none of which are banks I've ever had any relationship with whatsoever.

It asked me about a car loan. I've only had one car loan in my life, so it's easy to remember the details, but again, none of the choices matched my loan.

It was as if they had pulled the data for the questions from another person's credit history.
Yes... this happened to me. It turns out a different alan81 with my same name was linked to my credit report. This was several years back, but I recall sending in a bunch of paper stuff. They opened an investigation, and after a few months my credit rating at that particular agency jumped back up to where it should be.
Alan
No. of Recommendations: 2
No, I meant have you heard of being ask a bunch of verification questions, where none of the offered answers were correct?

Sorry, I guess you needed to be more specific on what you meant by 'this'.

It was as if they had pulled the data for the questions from another person's credit history.

As alan81 suggests, it sounds like that's exactly what happened - that someone else's information got mixed in with your credit history. That has happened to me before. The only way to get it corrected is to confirm your identity to the credit bureau in the manner that they they request, get your credit report, and dispute any inaccurate information. You may need to ask for verification of the debt, to show that the debtor's information is inconsistent with your information.

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 4

Yes, it has happened to me. None of the above was included as an option and that answer worked. If it doesn't, either they have confused your credit report or you have an identity theft problem.