Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Very heavy particles if you can project them in a stream

Which would make everything behind the rocket radioactive.

When I was an undergrad we did a modern physics experiment. We put silver samples (old dimes if I remember correctly) next to a neutron source (Americium-241). After the silver had cooked for several minutes, we ran them over to our Geiger counters to measure the radioactive decay. Literally ran: the half-life of the produced isotopes was measured in seconds. I took the following lessons from this experiment:

1. Radioactive decay does follow an inverse exponential curve, just like they taught us in class.
2. Neutron sources make other things radioactive, and thus have to be heavily shielded.

Even if, hypothetically, you could make your proposed neutron stream, it’s a really bad idea.

Regards,

- HCF
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.