Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, my fine piratey folks, it’s been many a year since I’ve felt the need for advice from Aruba’s Isle of Revenge. It’s too late for this situation, but I relay it to you just to vent, and in the hopes that I might be able to salvage something out of it if anyone has ideas.

My son, Dash (as some of you may know) is a young man now and is still living at home, working at a restaurant. He has made great strides in his learning disabilities but he still has some things he could work on. One of them is being able to say ‘no’ to salespeople who use very aggressive sales tactics. A young saleswoman accosted him as he was walking through the mall in Braintree, Massachusetts, and convinced him to buy over $1500 in skin care products ($1,000 for a light therapy machine and $500 in creams and soaps). This happened in July and he did not tell us until last week because he was embarrassed. He didn’t open the light therapy machine (he has no need for it – it’s for wrinkles and sagging skin for cry-yi!). I really have no hope in him getting his money back, but I thought of it as a learning experience for him if we went through the steps of what to do in case this happens again. He found the receipts for the products and went back to the mall to talk to the saleswoman about returning the items. She not only would not give him a refund, she tried again to sell him more product. (!) He declined. Thank goodness – maybe he’s learning! LOL!

I found the website for the company and clicked on their Support Chat. I figured I wasn’t going to get anything anyway but I wanted to have the chat for future reference. Here is an abbreviated version of the answers I got from 'Debbie':

Me: I am writing on behalf of my son, who purchased a light therapy machine in July. He tried to return it to the store in Braintree, Massachusetts, which is where he bought it from, but they would not give him a refund. He spent $1,000.00 on it and did not open the package. We wish to make a return and get a refund on this purchase.

Debbie: Hello. We are the manufacturer and distributor of the products. Each location is independently owned and operated. Unfortunately, we do not franchise and have no control over their business policies.
Debbie: We are not affiliated with that company.
Debbie: We can't refund for another business.
Debbie: We are the manufacturer and distributor of the products. Each location is independently owned and operated. We do not own their business. They only sell our brand.
Debbie: We can't refund for a separate, independent business. We do not have access to their bank accounts.

(Just as an aside, 'Debbie' came up with all those answers before I even asked a question.)

I then googled complaints about this company and stumbled across a website called TrustPilot where several consumers had the same complaints about the sales tactics and inability to receive a refund.

I would like to warn others about this company – maybe I could contact the mall and let them know of their tactics?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Fifi
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.