Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Very nice post, LurkerMom. I'm glad to read you have lead a very full life. And here's to many more years of hope and happiness.

Thank you, Joe. I appreciate it and I appreciate your sincerely and civility.

How can such a nice person as yourself continue to support the documented outrages Bush is commiting in your name?? Is it fear, LurkerMom?

Fear? Fear of what? I live with optimism. People say, live for today, make it your best, it might be your last. I don't live for today, I live for tomorrow. I don't agree with everything Bush does and to the contrary as many think, I am not a Republican.
I live with the hope tomorrow will be even better than today, that in the generations to come there will be democracy in the mid-east.. And it is true; the media does not report the good that is coming out of Iraq. I make it a point to attend town hall meetings and wherever I can, where returning soldiers from Iraq and the other countries involved to hear what they have to say and question them. People turn around and look at me for having the nerve to ask pertinent questions. I don't go there to be entertained, but to find out the truth and to thank these soldiers. Never, not once when taken off to the side to speak with these returning heroes did I detect any bitterness, anger or even hint the war is a mistake. These are some of the people I look to for answers. Many of the men in my family have served during war time. Currently, there are four, two who are brothers and West Point graduates and both have served in the mid-east. I was not privileged to know exactly where because of their mission. Family gatherings when they were home on leave, and a distance to travel, did not stop me from going. I love these boys, and one being a girl, I should say men and women, that is what they really are now told me things of what is going on that many will not hear.

We are privileged to be a very long time friend of an Air Force Cornel who actually served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He is now in his eighties and to meet him you would thing he was twenty years younger. He resides in Alexandra VA with his wife. He makes it a point to visit Walter Reed Hospital several times a month. He was in Wisconsin earlier this year and we spent many hours talking with him. The stories he told would bring even you to a few tears, but the pride he showed talking about the soldiers he visited and their pride in what they feel they had accomplished was overwhelming.

Yes, there are many of our soldiers who have died, and come home crippled. I understand their sacrifice. Some families are angry and some soldiers are bitter. I can't deny their right to be angry or bitter. I can't deny their right to see the war with a different pov.

I am not convinced the seed of democracy that has been planted in the mid east will not grow. That seed has been planted, and if it doesn't grow I will blame the 'ne'er sayers.' Think of what a difference it would make if the Democrats in DC pulled together to back our President and our Soldiers instead of undermining both. They instead spend their time creating one stupid scandal after another, such as the unfortunate Cheney accident with their eye on the WH, instead of what actually needs to be done. I could go on, but you get the point.

Yes, I know, you picture me with my rose colored glasses on, but it is far from the case.
I live with the strife of today that it will bring a better tomorrow for future generations to live in peace.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.