Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I ran a search and could not find anything on this, but what is the difference, if any, between Class A and Class B shares, and does it really matter which you own?

thanks,

cfkane
Print the post Back To Top
"I ran a search and could not find anything on this, but what is the difference, if any, between Class A and Class B shares, and does it really matter which you own?

thanks,

cfkane"

Class A shares are voting shares and mostly owened by Summer R.
Class B shares are non-voting and may be traded by any one. Ticker-VIA.B

Cheers!
Ed
Pardon my follow-up,from another relative new investor, but is there a prohibition against buying class A? Are they less attractive in some way? The stock prices seem currently very similar.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Class A is not prohibited, but in my opinion, it's not the most desirable. Although it comes with voting rights (class B shares are non-voting), your vote doesn't really count for anything since Sumner Redstone (Chairman of Viacom) controls the majority of shares anyway, both personally and through a number of holding companies. Class B is much more heavily traded, and is thus more liquid, and the share price of B has historically (over the last 5 years or so) been identical to the A stock.
I own Viacom, but have always stuck with B stock.

Peace,
Jeff