Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello CNXS hidden gemmers. After signing up for a HG subscription last month, this particular stock was the most intriguing to me. I suffer from allergies and congestion, and I am an avid saline nasal spray user, so I feel right at home with the products CNS makes.

There's been recent discussion of Ben Graham's "The Intelligent Investor." I've read many books on investing, and this is by far my favorite. Two years ago, I read the 1973 edition. And I am currently reading the 2003 edition w/commentary by Jason Zweig. JZ does an outstanding job of relating Graham's philosophy to what's happened in recent times. This book is not for everyone. There were sections I didn't understand (convertible bonds), but I tried not to get hung up on nebulous topics. Reading it the second time for me is even more enjoyable, and this is a book I'll be reading over many times.

Philip Fisher's "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits" is my second favorite book. It's somewhat dry and wordy, but his concept of finding growth stocks for the long term, which I combine with Graham's margin of safety, has been the right path for me.

I also own "Security Analysis." Notice I wrote own instead of read? Like James Joyce's "Ulysses," you don't read it, you study it!

Peter Lynch's "One Up on Wall Street" is a book I commonly recommend. If there's one thing I learned from that book it's to carefully consider the PEG ratio. For CNXS, it was near 1.0 last week.

Here's one quote, from page 294 of the 1973 edition of the Intelligent Investor. In a "Graham and Doddsville" speech by Warren Buffett:
"The common intellectual theme of the investors from Graham-and-Doddsville is this: they search for discrepancies between the *value* of a business and the *price* of small pieces of that business in the market. The investors simply focus on two variables: price and value."

Okay, I look forward to reading more posts on this board, and I've already learned a lot from the ones I have read. Thanks for setting up the environment of this board!

--Offramp
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.