Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I live up in the San Bernardino Mnts in So Cal and what did I find in my local store this morning? Vidalia onions...yummy! I totally blew my diet today but it was worth it. I simply took some Dixie Fry and mixed it up in a bowl with milk and water till it was a thick batter then I battered up some thick slices and deep fried them. I don't care for regular onion rings but these are soooo good. If you're lucky enough to find some, I highly recommend getting some. The sweetness of vidalia's is worth every bite!

So,I have 2 more onions left...any good vidalia onion recipes running around out there?

Kathy
Print the post Back To Top
WHICH store? Please? Pretty please?
<<WHICH store? Please? Pretty please?
>>

Stater Bros up in Lake Arrowhead has 3 in a bag for $2.99, I'm sure they are probably half that in Georgia but I was happy to pay the price.

Kathy

Thanks!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh yes! Vidalia's are on my top ten list of things I miss from Georgia!

A lay in my old Quilt Guild gave me this recipes years ago.

Shrimp Pie

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
¾ pound fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined & diced
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 9-inch piecrusts

This recipe requires fresh greens and real Vidalia onions, DO NOT TRY TO SUBSTITUTE.

Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté the onion over medium heat. Remove from heat, drain and place in a large mixing bowl; cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Add shrimp, all three cheeses, herbs and pepper, combine.

Line a 9-inch pie pan with one of the crusts. Pour shrimp mixture into it. Adjust the top crust over and crimp the edges.

Bake for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350° and cook another 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

Azreela
Shrimp Pie...

And it's grocery day! I think I'll try it.
No. of Recommendations: 4

Looks like a good recipe. Was it a good lay? ;)

Margaret (sorry, couldn't resist)
Woo hoo! My Stater's DID have them (I don't know why I doubted it, this is supposed to be their showcase store).

I'm chopping them up for use in dinner tonight. Just had a bite of one raw. Who knew an onion could taste so good!

Thanks again for the hot tip!

Frydaze1
P.S. And who knew a produce guy would have so much trouble with the idea of Portobello Caps? "Well," he said, "we have whole portobellos over there, but I don't know about CAPS." Sheesh. And you guys thought *I* was ignorant about food. Oh, and the package he was pointing to specifically said "Portobello Caps" in case it wasn't obvious by looking at them.

Off to do some more cooking!
Looks like a good recipe. Was it a good lay? ;)
Margaret (sorry, couldn't resist)

*Azreela bangs her head on the keyboard*
Repeat after me:
I will not trust the spellcheck to catch all errors.

*sigh*

Just stick a 'd' in there.

Azreela
No. of Recommendations: 4
Yuh said, "Just stick a 'd' in there."

Just stick a "d***" in where??

DeCornnelCAF
Some useless information about onyons, 'specially dem Vidalia types. Ah had heard as a youngster up in Oregon dat iffen yuh wants real sweet tastin', juicy radishes tuh plant dem where dey is well drained but give them plenty of water. Dey said it wuks wit onyons too. Den years later in Sufferin' Californication (actually down in Baja past Mexicali) a Mexicano farmer told me the same thing about peppers.

The area around Vidalia. GA does have the type of soil that drains well, good underground flow for water, and plenty of rain. Maybe wit dis information y'all kin grow yo' own Vidalias. Iffen yuh up in de big valley of Californication would yuh call dem "Visalias"?? It nevah would wuk down heah in de Bayou State, de pore tings would drowned in 'bout a week!!

DeColonelCAF
"Just stick a "d***" in where??"

Take your choice, it'll fit.

(Grin)

Ray
any good vidalia onion recipes running around out there?

I've ben buying them here in NJ for the last few weeks. The number one thing I do with them or any large sweet onion is slice them from pole to pole and break it up into smallish slices no less than a half inch wide. I cut some red and greem peppers the same way and grill them. On the grill I place a sheet of foil and poke holes in it with a fork. I then spray the foil with some PAM and place the veggies on it and liberally apply Mrs. Dash seasoning. Much better than frying them anytime.
I ususally do that to have with sausage but this weekend made them on Sat. with some grilled turkey parts and mixed with long grain and wild rice. Last night I made a larger batch for Fajitas and now have a whole bunch left to have with dinner tonight.

bigpix
I just brush them with olive oil, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and grill 'em. They are SO good, aren't they?

I served the grilled onions as a side dish along with garlic-lemon marinated chicken skewers and some grilled asparagus. Yummy!

CK