Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I thought it might be fun to share some of the games my kids and I have had the most fun playing together over the years. We enjoy some of the more well known titles like Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, and some of the sports games or shooters, but there have been many lesser known titles that we've enjoyed just as much or even more. Several of these games were even free PS4 downloads at some point over the past few years.

Feel free to share the games you've enjoyed with your kids as well. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Here are the first few that come to mind:

Overcooked - This is a co-op game where you each control a chef and have to work together to cook and serve orders of food as they come in over a certain period of time. You can have up to four players and we've had a great time getting through some of the tougher levels. Teamwork is definitely required and it's fun to see the kids come up with a good division of labor for a specific level that gets the win. All my kids and even my wife (not a big gamer) have enjoyed this one. Each set of levels serves different food and presents some sort of challenge that changes things up and keeps it interesting for a little while. This one is pretty good for even younger kids (5-7) as it can be pretty straightforward with a little direction from a parent.

Skulls of the Shogun - This is a turn-based strategy game with little skeleton units that each have different abilities. The campaign is fun and the game is deeper than it first appears when it comes to strategy and planning. There are melee, ranged, and mounted units along with a few other specialized units as well. A unit can heal by eating the skull of a fallen enemy (not as gross as it sounds given humorous tone of the game). The campaign was fun with some good dialogue and silliness that the kids enjoyed, but the real enjoyment came from just playing some custom games against the AI. The kids can handle it by themselves, but we can also play co-op or against each other. Even my youngest (age 7) has really picked up on some of the subtleties and become pretty good at it.

Nom Nom Galaxy - This is a cartoonish "futuristic" game where you land on planets and have to build a factory to gather and process the unique ingredients in order to turn them into soup and send it off into space for sale on other planets. You're competing against a rival and trying to corner the market before they do. I wasn't impressed with this one at first and wrote it off. Later one of the kids found it and started playing. Once you get past the first couple of missions it gets a bit better. The campaign is decent (though a bit monotonous after a while), but you can play co-op which really adds to the fun. This is another one where teamwork and planning really pay off and it's fun to see the kids come up with a strategy and make it work.

Gauntlet - The updated version of this has been fun for me and my two boys. There are some very light rpg components to it now where you can spend money to get different weapons and powers, but that's about it. You can sit down with this and just do a level or two, or you can spend quite a while going through most of the campaign in one sitting. The campaign isn't too long, but it's fun to play and try the different classes to tackle the levels in different ways. This one isn't too deep but the co-op aspect has been fun and competing to get the most treasure adds another angle to keep things interesting for a little longer.

I'll add a few more in another post when I get a chance. Looking forward to hearing about what others have been enjoying with their kids.

Robinson
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.