Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I thought it might be fun to share some of the games my kids and I have had the most fun playing together over the years. We enjoy some of the more well known titles like Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, and some of the sports games or shooters, but there have been many lesser known titles that we've enjoyed just as much or even more. Several of these games were even free PS4 downloads at some point over the past few years.

Feel free to share the games you've enjoyed with your kids as well. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Here are the first few that come to mind:

Overcooked - This is a co-op game where you each control a chef and have to work together to cook and serve orders of food as they come in over a certain period of time. You can have up to four players and we've had a great time getting through some of the tougher levels. Teamwork is definitely required and it's fun to see the kids come up with a good division of labor for a specific level that gets the win. All my kids and even my wife (not a big gamer) have enjoyed this one. Each set of levels serves different food and presents some sort of challenge that changes things up and keeps it interesting for a little while. This one is pretty good for even younger kids (5-7) as it can be pretty straightforward with a little direction from a parent.

Skulls of the Shogun - This is a turn-based strategy game with little skeleton units that each have different abilities. The campaign is fun and the game is deeper than it first appears when it comes to strategy and planning. There are melee, ranged, and mounted units along with a few other specialized units as well. A unit can heal by eating the skull of a fallen enemy (not as gross as it sounds given humorous tone of the game). The campaign was fun with some good dialogue and silliness that the kids enjoyed, but the real enjoyment came from just playing some custom games against the AI. The kids can handle it by themselves, but we can also play co-op or against each other. Even my youngest (age 7) has really picked up on some of the subtleties and become pretty good at it.

Nom Nom Galaxy - This is a cartoonish "futuristic" game where you land on planets and have to build a factory to gather and process the unique ingredients in order to turn them into soup and send it off into space for sale on other planets. You're competing against a rival and trying to corner the market before they do. I wasn't impressed with this one at first and wrote it off. Later one of the kids found it and started playing. Once you get past the first couple of missions it gets a bit better. The campaign is decent (though a bit monotonous after a while), but you can play co-op which really adds to the fun. This is another one where teamwork and planning really pay off and it's fun to see the kids come up with a strategy and make it work.

Gauntlet - The updated version of this has been fun for me and my two boys. There are some very light rpg components to it now where you can spend money to get different weapons and powers, but that's about it. You can sit down with this and just do a level or two, or you can spend quite a while going through most of the campaign in one sitting. The campaign isn't too long, but it's fun to play and try the different classes to tackle the levels in different ways. This one isn't too deep but the co-op aspect has been fun and competing to get the most treasure adds another angle to keep things interesting for a little longer.

I'll add a few more in another post when I get a chance. Looking forward to hearing about what others have been enjoying with their kids.

Robinson
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
LEGO City: Undercover -- It's kind of like a G-rated Grand Theft Auto (except you're on the good side) with LEGO. My son and I enjoyed playing this together. (Really, most of the LEGO games are gonna be good to play with kids; we also played Star Wars: The Force Awakens (which, for some reason, includes the final sequences from Return of the Jedi in it as a prologue) )

Spiderman -- Really, it's a one player game, but my son and I played it together, where he would swing around the city doing things and then I'd end up doing the fights / missions. (It's really just a good game, in general)

MineCraft -- Does it count on this list if my son really likes playing it with me, and I don't enjoy it (I'm not a fan of building games and I'm not creative like he is)? My son plays this ALL the time, so it's good to do things with him (I have the online features turned off, since he's 8).

dsbrady
No. of Recommendations: 1
For me and my boys (now 15 & 12) it all started with Lego Star Wars and the other Lego games. We dabbled a bit with WoW once they were old enough to know what they were doing. These days it's teaming up in Destiny 2 or Rocket League (non-hardcore competitive, just having fun), but in the same vein as the Lego stuff and their focus on cooperative puzzle-solving, Human Fall Flat can be a hoot where you can help each other overcome the obstacles, or just goof around with the physics and laugh at the hijinks that ensue.

On the lesser-known angle, a good one we've enjoyed is Clandestine, where you team up, one playing as the spy/infiltrator and the other playing as the hacker/guy-in-the-chair to accomplish cold war-type spy missions. Not for the less-mature young kids due to the murdery aspects of playing a 007-type who can kill at will, but the need to lean on each other since each role has things that only it can do is a great experience.

JT
No. of Recommendations: 0
Spiderman -- Really, it's a one player game, but my son and I played it together, where he would swing around the city doing things and then I'd end up doing the fights / missions. (It's really just a good game, in general)

Spiderman is definitely one of the better recent games, and we have had many sessions where we watch the other person play.

MineCraft -- Does it count on this list if my son really likes playing it with me, and I don't enjoy it

Yes, it definitely counts. There is always going to be some of that, but it's worth it if they're enjoying it. Minecraft is big in our house as well, though I eventually got two machines set up so now the boys can play Minecraft together instead of me having to participate as often.

Robinson
No. of Recommendations: 3
A few more games that come to mind:

Broforce - This is an old school 2-D side scrolling shooter with pixelated graphics and some personality, best played co-op instead of solo. You get a random character each time you're revived, and each character is a take on an old action film character such as "Rambro" or "Brommando" with its own unique weapons and powers. You will die A LOT in this game, but even that is part of the fun as there are many interesting and spectacular ways to die. There is a lot of shooting, exploding, and cartoony blood in this game, so stay away if that's a concern. However, there are some neat bosses, and playing co-op allows you to rescue each other periodically to bring partners back into the game. This is nice with kids because as long as you can stay alive for a little while you can bring the kids back into it without restarting a level from the beginning.

Portal Knights - This is a 3rd person rpg/adventure game where you complete quests, defeat bosses, and build portals to the different worlds. You can be the standard Warrior/Wizard/Ranger type of classes and there is also a big Minecraft type component in that you can break any blocks in the game environment and use them to craft items for your character to use. You move up in levels and strength as you gain xp, increase your stats, and craft new gear with many different ingredients and crafting tables. Again the co-op shines here as you can play with the kids or they can start characters to play with each other. It's also pretty kid friendly because the consequences for dying are very mild. We started this one recently so we aren't too far into it, but so far so good.

Magicka 2 - This is a 3rd person action game where you're a mage who can cast many different spells using different button combinations that represent the different elements. You walk around the world fighting many different enemies that have different weaknesses and resistances, so you have to switch up what you're using as you go when it comes to the spells. There are some simple puzzles to solve, but it's not an open world where you wander around. It's pretty much a single path through each of the levels with bosses at the end of many of them. Again this one is much more fun in co-op as you can heal, hurt, and revive your companions. The battles get pretty crazy and crowded, meaning that you will find many ways to accidentally kill your friends or yourself as you scramble to avoid enemies and cast the correct spells for the situation. For example, if you walk through water and then try to activate a lightning spell, you hurt (and likely kill) yourself. The campaign has a humorous tone to it and doesn't take itself too seriously. We had a blast with this one and still pull it back out to play on occasion.

I thought of a couple more while typing this one up, so I'll probably do one more post to finish up from my end.

Robinson
No. of Recommendations: 2
Minecraft: My girls love creative. They especially like making farms, zoos and aquariums with the animals. I prefer playing survival. I am not so much a builder, but enjoy the farming and mining aspects. It is a game that is great if you just have a little bit of time as you can save when you want.

Lego Lord of the Rings and Lego Hobbit. My oldest daughter likes solving the puzzles. It is something we can play together. Running a level or two does not take too much time.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Last one from me on this topic :-) While writing up the previous post I thought of a couple of older video games that the kids enjoyed playing with me so I thought I'd mention them.

Knack - This is a third person platformer where your character is made from small artifacts and gets bigger and stronger the more artifacts he collects. It isn't the strongest game, but it's great for kids as the main character is kinda cute, the platforming elements of the game aren't too punishing in most cases, and the tougher fights can be won with some of the special abilities available. More important is the co-op ability where a second person can control a character and help out with the fights. My youngest really enjoyed this when he was about 5, and loved to sit down with me and play a level or two together whenever he got a chance. He was pretty proud of himself after winning a hard battle and loved the levels where Knack became really giant. This one is worth it for the younger ones if you can find a cheap copy.

Rayman - This is a side scrolling run and jump affair where there are many characters you can choose from and many different enemies to fight. There are some really well done unique levels, some good boss fights, and lots of hidden treasures to find and unlock. This one can get very challenging at times, though, which is where the multiplayer component comes in. Once there are multiple players you can keep going through the level when one person dies and revive the other person after a few seconds. This allows younger (or easily frustrated) kids to make it through some of the tougher parts assuming mom or dad can get through them :-) We went nuts on the Rayman Legends game and even did a lot of the time trials to the point where we ended up with a platinum on PS4. You have to really like the game to stick with it that long I suppose.

Terraria - This is basically 2D minecraft. Not really my thing, but a couple of my kids really got into it, and you can play two player which helps with exploring, collecting materials, and fighting some challenging bosses. There is a lot to collect and craft in this game, and you can essentially dig all the way down to a hellscape area with some pretty tough bosses. This isn't one you beat in 10 or 15 hours, but instead can put hundreds of hours into and still never really "complete" everything. Many times my role was to just be the one looking stuff up on the ipad while the boys played and tried to craft things. Still a fun experience you can do together I suppose!

Over the years we have also really enjoyed some of the more popular games. Right now the latest Luigi's Mansion is big around here (another nice co-op), and we have some regulars like Mario Kart (big one still for my teenage daughter), Mario Party, Warcraft/Starcraft (the boys are playing through Reforged campaigns and customs against the AI). As others have mentioned, pretty much any Lego game is great to play co-op as well. Lots of puzzles to solve that aren't too tough to figure out for the kids and a lot of fun characters and powers to try.

So I guess the bottom line is... we play entirely too many video games at our house.

Robinson