Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Howard-- while I did give the phone number for ILS in S Diego for all readers/posters to follow up on the Sirius launch date (they said it is the 30th, no change in that), on the article you posted for us on the fights over in Russia on the Proton: my nephew, to whom I sent your article, at Ball Aero tells me that the rocket lifting SIRI 1 is a totally different Proton than the ones the Russian military uses, and especially the one for the space module. That one has (I am going to quote his comment, which you can check out definitely for yourself to make sure) a "different upper stage and different upper stage configuration than the Lockheed launch vehicle for Sirius. Its capacity lift (because of the new upper stage Breeze) is almost 60% more than what is required for Sirius. Also, the Proton that lifted Asia Sat earlier in the year is a different one than required for Sirius. It all has to do with the upper stage having the know-how to move the satellite to its final orbit, and the Proton, to my knowledge, has four different and totally new upper stages now to accomplish that. The Russian Proton, in effect and in sum, is a totally different rocket than the Sirius required Proton, so the fights in Russia and Kazakhtsan over their ISS Proton is not one having any effect on Sirius. So far as I know, Kazakhstan has three launch pads for their Proton, all three miles apart from each other, sort of indicating the non-reliance of the Russian Proton on the Sirius required Proton. So any disputes written up in the papers, while maybe or maybe not true, should not have any bearing on what Sirius does with its proton launch". (End of quote).

You can check this info out Howard-- it's what I got in reply when checking up on the article you posted, after my brother-in-law money manager called ILS in San Diego to recertify Mr. Margolese's end of June date. That date, so I understand, would not be met only if the Proton launching next week had a failure.

The concern I had over a late July date instead of June, which someone posted on Yahoo (what else is new?) as coming allegedly from Merrill Lynch appears then to be totally without foundation, merit, or evidence. Again-- what else is new with Yahoo message baords?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.