Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Vietnam? You know we all learnt as little kids in the late 60s that we were free people so we could say our govt was wrong to be in Vietnam. We blamed ourselves.

I think 20 years from now when history is written the blame will fall elsewhere. I think it will fall on the Soviets. We had a lot to fear from the Soviets. Perhaps the average guy on the street had more to fear from going to Vietnam. But the whole country had much more to fear from troubles with the Soviets.

Well whats that all about? Nuclear war, communism, tyranny, torture and a lot of other twisted human crap. So we had a choice, split up the map and play for keeps. Take the US's side or the Soviets side.

In the coldest lousiest truth of the matter was our boys died needlessly on a chess board. I am not sure there is another truth to this whole war.

We got caught by a Soviet strategy that worked against us all too well.

We got our turn to do it to them in Afganistan. This turned them to our form of govt to try and over come how poor their communist system had become.

So will the US forever be to blame or will the Soviets be to blame in the history books? I think one day the Soviets will be to blame again. For the last several decades since Nixon lost office, we have said our govt was stupid and full of criminals. This is true. We fought this war as a stupid power play and our boys on the front knew it. But the Soviets were the one's supporting in all fashions a communist regime that should never been on the face of the planet.

You will find little room from me in support of what the Soviets were, but I can see where our strategy costed us all too much. The Soviets made us pay the price.

db
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.