No. of Recommendations: 1
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/23/europe/norway-cruise-ship-eva...

The small luxury ship, the Viking Sky, only has one engine functioning in high seas off the coast of Norway and its passengers and crew are being evacuated.

Sometimes things don't work out as planned when you travel.

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
One of the things on my bucket list is to NEVER take a cruise on the North Atlantic in winter, which it still is.

CNC
Single exception is the Queen Mary 2, the last of the great ocean liners (as compared to a mere cruise ship). High seas are barely a speed bump.

Jeff
Single exception is the Queen Mary 2, the last of the great ocean liners (as compared to a mere cruise ship). High seas are barely a speed bump.

Agreed!! Took transatlantic last year and have booked both directions next year (dh prefers not to fly - ever). That ship is rock solid! (DH also prone to motion sickness)

So much more than a 'cruise' ship!

Teri

Agreed!! Took transatlantic last year and have booked both directions next year (dh prefers not to fly - ever). That ship is rock solid! (DH also prone to motion sickness)

So much more than a 'cruise' ship!

We have retired friends in Germany who have taken the QM 2 just about every year. They like to visit the US, and come almost every year. We will be seeing them here in LA at the end of March. Yes, they will return te Germany on the QM 2.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 0
Heh, we've been watching carefully as we're booked on a slightly different cruise, but later in the year, mid July, leaving from Bergen, heading North into the Midnight Sun...

This early was not in our plans, the North Sea is not settled yet...

So, not this ship, but another similar one, good to see this practice run, tho! :)

If they can get the other engines up they'll be good to go.. A lot of cleanup needed..

weco
OK, better information on how and why the Viking engine 'failures' happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2019/03/27/vik...

Basically the oil chambers need better internal baffling to stop or lessen the oil movement as well as better means of monitoring, the oil levels. Save the engine, lose the ship, isn't acceptable!

Good to see this, as we look forward to a July run!
We've never been on the Sky, but we sailed the maiden voyage of the Sea from Istanbul to Venice in early-April 2016 without a hitch.

Wish I could say the same for our early-March 2018 "Southern" Mediterranean cruise on the Star from Rome to Barcelona. Of seven planned stops, two (North Africa) were cancelled with replacement stops, and one of the replacement stops (Naples) was cancelled with no replacement because of rough seas, which made the trip less than optimal, but we were safe. And this was the Mediterranean, not the North Atlantic.

It was painful to see the devastation of the fabulous interior, as those ships are duplicates and just gorgeous. We could tell no difference between the Sea and the Star, and the Sky is a duplicate.

The engine stall was diagnosed as the oil pressure dropping because of the ship rolling and oil not reaching the engines, so an alarm sounded followed by automatic shutdown.

Chili
The engine stall was diagnosed as the oil pressure dropping because of the ship rolling and oil not reaching the engines, so an alarm sounded followed by automatic shutdown.

Chili

A useful description of the problem. The articles I read only said oil pressure wasn't low but caused the engines to stall.
The Viking ships are the first deluxe-light small ship brand since Azamara and Oceania were formed out of the bones of Renaissance.

Most cruise lines are building ever larger ships, as the economy of scale argument for increased profits is compelling. OTOH, I (and many others) prefer the smaller ships as not only being more intimate, but able to pull into ports that the larger ships can't fit into.

Incidentally, we leave on April 2 for a crossing on a medium-small shop (Oceania Riviera) from Miami to Barcelona for the start of a 2 1/2 month European trip.

Jeff
Incidentally, we leave on April 2 for a crossing on a medium-small shop (Oceania Riviera) from Miami to Barcelona for the start of a 2 1/2 month European trip.

Jeff

Wishing I didn't get so seasick. Seasick meds work but I wouldn't want to take them for 2 1/2 months.
We're doing the crossing to Barcelona, then heading on land to Paris, the Loire Valley and Lisbon for a few weeks. Then picking up another ship back in Barcelona to Rome, then on to Southampton, followed by a Baltic cruise (we have Russian visas, so we don't have to take group tours).

Then we come back to the States for a wedding, followed in mid-July by flying to Amsterdam and then to Tanzania for the game migration. We head back to Europe and then we have about a month and a half to fill. I'm thinking of taking a river cruise to central Europe (say Budapest, maybe) and then roaming on land through eastern and central Europe - we'll see.

We haven't planned a fall trip yet. I'm trying to convince she who must be obeyed to visit the Silk Road route - hitting Moscow on the way out (we've been to all sorts of odd spots in Russia, but never hit the big one) and then staying a while in Turkey on the way back.

Jeff