Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What are anyone's thoughts on Visa's IPO next week??
Print the post Back To Top
It will be interesting to see how well this IPO does.  It's not a very good time to be doing an IPO but then again this is Visa - one of the most widely recognized brands in the industry.  I believe this will be a huge success and I will definitely be buying.  I also will not be surprised to see it double in value during the first year.  Go V!!!

I think the only one who will do well is the banks and insiders who are selling their positions, excellent $$$ to be made by brokers and insiders, this IPO will be over valued, especially considering the lawsuits one will bear by taking ownership.

But the funny thing about stocks is ~ it matters not what your opinion of reality is, it matters only that a lot of money may be willing to transfer hands by buying this IPO.

I think this should be interesting to keep an eye on. It has just as good a chance of doubling the loss of its shareholders as it does doubling their position.

What lawsuits? Care to explain, LordZ?
I'm using a shared computer at my work (don't tell anyone). Apparently there's something icky on it, because it managed to post my reply earlier than the comment I was replying to. By the way, nec, why are you bearish on MA? And what are your thoughts on Visa? Personally, I'm going to wait, though I may buy it if it comes down a ways. Payment systems are a great business to be in in the long term.

Wait for the "next new thing" run-up (a la BX), then do your DD and consider shorting it for the likely draw-down with the economy.

On a long, long basis (five years or more), it's probably a very nice return. But wait for a decent price to get in.

I just posted a blog from an article I just read about the U.S. gov't planning on introducing a bill to force Visa and Mastercard to lower their processing fees by 30%, which could make an impact on the rosiness of the Visa IPO, and MA stock price.
If you wait for a nice price before entering your gonna miss the whole ride to the top.  Start from scratch and then decide when the roller coaster is gonna head down hill or at the very least level off.

Flea I remember reading somewhere that VIsa will be hit with like a billion dollars in suits which will be divided amongst discover card and american xpress something about how they conducted themselves and were anti competitive. I'm about 100% I read that when I was researching a possible buy into this IPO.

Click here for an anti-trust lawsuit. It looks like Mastercard and Visa combined are on the hook for a little over $3B to settle this one...

When Mastercard announced their IPO, the International Herald Tribune reported that this was partly to shield the banks issuing these cards from this and other similar lawsuits. I suggest reading the prospectus to see how VISA perceives this. If you don't like what you read, don't buy their IPO!

The Law suits in questions are from the merchants that use Visa’s services. The merchants argue that Visa and Master card have a monopoly in the market and their prices are unfair and they are making it difficult for competitors to enter the market place. This brings me to why it is important for Visa to have a successful IPO in this market. Some of the proceeds from the IPO are going to be set aside to pay settlements that result from the pending law suits and to set up a war chest for legal fees. As to why I am taking a Bearish stance on master card is simple, I think Visa is an all around bigger and better company with way more Market share and that is going to drive investors and wall street away from MC.