Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Our local VITA team ran into a problem this week -- spent a day e-mailing with TaxSlayer support -- tried their "solution," which resulted in two state returns being rejected. At this point, we are just going to file paper state returns as necessary. But if anyone here has some ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Our community in Idaho borders Wyoming. Many Idahoans work in Wyoming. Because Wyoming has no state income tax, most Wyoming employers do not withhold for Idaho, nor do they have any state EIN or identifier for Idaho.

If a person is a full-year resident of Idaho there are no problems -- all the Wyoming income gets appropriately allocated to Idaho. If a person lives and works in Wyoming and moves into Idaho mid-year, there is no way to tell TaxSlayer to allocate x months of that income for Idaho -- TaxSlayer calculates $0 tax owed to Idaho.

TaxSlayer support told us to adjust the state fields of the W-2 with the proper amount to allocate to Idaho. We could not leave the state EIN blank, so we put in "partyear." These returns were rejected by the state with a code of ELECDD -- for which I can find no explanation.

Is this situation just too hard for TaxSlayer and a paper return is the only way? Has anyone here even run into this situation before? Can anyone tell me what the ELECDD code means?

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.