Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I know that Consumer Lab operates a valuable rating service and I use their services from time to time, but I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any vitamin/supplement manufacturers who stand out as *consistently* providing high quality control.

Do any of you know of any other rating services, or based on your own research, have you found any manufacturers (eg. Solaray, Natrol, etc.) who stand out for *consistently high* quality control?

If this is industry is going to remain unregulated, doesn't it need some sort of strong independent seal of quality?

Your thoughts? MG
Print the post Back To Top
I don't know of any rating services, but I have been told that Allergy Research Group (Nutricology) makes the best supplements available to the general public.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Usana vitamins are consistently highly rated but they're very expensive.

http://www.usana.com/en/products/us/

First of all, Consumer Lab is better than nothing, but they leave a lot to be desired. They've got a very good "reference library," and they certainly raise awareness of the reality that not all supplements contain what the package says they do, and that not all supplements dissolve well.

HOWEVER--their assessment does NOT extend to quality. And they only evaluate products that a manufacturer pays them to evaluate. What we really need is a standards group that takes EVERY available vitamin C on the shelf, for example, and tests each brand for content, dissolvability, and quality of ingredients.

Companies that have been recommended to me by integrative physicians or herbalists include Enzymatic Therapy, Nature's Way, Nature's Herbs, Source Naturals, New Chapter. HerbPharm for herbal extracts. Fisol and Nordic Naturals in particular for fish oils. epic4health (online) has some excellent products. I first learned of them for their CoQ10, which is pharmaceutical grade and reasonably priced.

If I recall any others, or if/when I learn of any others, I'll post.

sheila

Having been in the industry, have seen the quality control that goes into production and the companies share an interest in developing a good quality product. There have been some concerns in the past regarding the potency of private label years ago, and I would also be concerned about any company that does not have a corporate address.
Just a gut feeling, but I think "pharma grade" is marketing hype.

Foolgirlhere
epic4health does have a corporate address, but they sell directly to the public, as well as to distributors. Their products are manufactured by Tishcon Corp., an FDA-licensed facility.

EPIC
equivalent pharmaceutical industries corporation
po box 1336
Smithtown, NY 11787

Phone: 1-800-866-0978
http://epic4health.com/

"Pharmaceutical grade" is absolutely not marketing hype. It's a standard used in the HANDBOOK OF PHARMACEUTICAL ADDITIVES, and indicates the existence of "required documented quality control checks to support statements concerning purity of compound." The standard of purity is greater than 99.7%.

Take a look at: Why Pharmaceutical Grade Supplements Are Critical on the Life Extension Foundation website:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-158.shtml

sheila
Life Extension Foundation website:
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-158.shtml

The discussion board at LEF is excellent, too; albeit not as much traffic as other health sites.

http://forum.lef.org/
I was waiting for you gals to pounce. But I asked for it, as I put out the bait! Life Extension also puts out their own line of products, I knew of them before they formed under this name. Yes, they do emphasize pharma grade in their line and I'm not saying that is a bad thing, I do lide their products, but in no way diminishes the quality and potency of other products. In fact, you might be surprised to learn that some products come from the same place. But hey, it's all a good thing...go have a martini and relax.

Foolgirlhere
No. of Recommendations: 4
At one time I was big in suppliments as far as studying them and trying to find out what was what. I found this site and I think it's pretty good, I really liked it because they don't pull any punches. When a suppliment doesn't work or is over priced they say so. I guess it's biggest drawback is that to get the really good detailed product reviews you have to subscribe, or become a member. The cost is $25.00 a year but for me it was well worth the cost.

I was surprised to find that many of the expensive suppliments were not very good. Usana was one that was very expensive, but didn't offer anything special.

http://www.supplementwatch.com/
pharma grade ... and I'm not saying that is a bad thing,

So why did you say it's nothing more than marketing hype? Especially since it's a formal manufacturing standard (which you would know, having been in the industry)?

sheila

Foolgirl,

If you're going to set the bait, why not release the trap?

Share with us more of your knowledge and viewpoints from having been on the inside.

Thanks, MG
No. of Recommendations: 2
---------------------------------

Why bother? You'd still be doing your thing. There isn't enough room here, nor is this the place to explain marketing, and why go into any of my "knowledge and viewpoints" to people that would take every word apart? Thanks, but no thanks, lady.

Foolgirlhere
---------------------------------

Why bother? You'd still be doing your thing. There isn't enough room here, nor is this the place to explain marketing, and why go into any of my "knowledge and viewpoints" to people that would take every word apart? Thanks, but no thanks, lady.

I understand your reticence, but I hope you'll reconsider and take a chance. If your fears are--hopefully--not realized, then you'll have given the rest of us a rare, and much appreciated, opportunity for some insight in this area. If any posters do attempt to hijack the discussion, and can't simply be ignored, then.....at least you/we tried.

sheila
Why bother? You'd still be doing your thing.

Foolgirl, what "thing" would that be? MaryGoodnight is one of the more open minded, even tempered posters I know. IMO there are several of us interested in all aspects of health, even those that don't jibe with our perceptions.

InParadise
Aloha,

Who told you this? And does the company have a stock symbol?