Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Don't panic. You should file an amended return, but it won't change your refund.

Many, many thanks... made me feel much better.

Duke did a 1:3 reverse stock split before merging with Progress.

Now that you point that out, I have a vague recollection of knowing that...

Wait for the IRS to process your return and refund. Your carry over loss will offset any possible gain. File an amended return after your refund has been processed.

Sounds like a reasonable plan... I will certainly wait a bit, then decide if it's better to go ahead and file an amended return or just proceed as suggested by Phil suggested below...

Make a note on your copy of your 2012 return to reduce your carryover by $55 (the proceeds in question) when you put it on your 2013 Schedule D. Don't bother with an amended return.

Again, thanks for the rapid response... hopefully I won't make such foolish mistakes in the future...


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.