No. of Recommendations: 0
vkg
My prediction is that if school vouchers are available to everyone, then the tuition at private schools will immediately increase by the value of the voucher. Government intervention rarely achieves its goal.

If every kid has the "right" to a school voucher, then it is an entitlement program.

The public school system needs to be shaken up, but I don't see vouchers as the solution.

States are already spending a great deal of money on education of illegal aliens. States are required to provide education to all regardless of legal status. If all students are eligible for vouchers, then illegal aliens would be eligible.

You would be correct that immediately, private schools would probably be able to jack up prices. But eventually, the invisible hand of Adam Smith would, IMO, create a new market of schools that would compete for top kids...something that is hugely missed in today's public education that teaches to the dumbest kid in everyclass while everyone else twiddles there thumbs. Ya we have smart kids that take advanced, AP and dual credit courses...but they are a joke compared to many private school curriculums.

The market would adjust and bad schools would be forced to improve or die. You'd also see teachers become more competative and be able to demand higher salaries.

I don't believe vouchers will fix everything. Just a start. The core issue of why kids don't learn is rooted in our culture. The baby boomers are spoiled brats and their children and grandchildren are far worse. It's our culture that ultimately needs a wake-up call.

Poorly educated kids is just a symptom.

metal
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.